Target Stores get HD & Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Mark Talmadge, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge Cinematographer

Well, I was debating on whether I should post this but here goes. If I put this in the wrong spot please correct it.

I can say that Target stores are getting HD-DVD and Blu-Ray disks for sale. The new transition set which is coming up over the next week have HD-DVD Players, Blu-Ray Players as well as HD-DVD disks and Blu Ray disks on the horizon. This bodes ill news for standard DVD owners though because of the limited space needed for all three formats.

While standard DVD does retain a major market share of shelf space I'm curious as to how HD-DVD and Blu Ray are going to fare. The main factor for me tends to be aimed at the price for the players. While I'm interested in both formats, I'm thinking that the two new formats are going to be a tough sell to the average consumer. Why? This is due to the fact that many current DVD owners can barely afford a quality DVD player and the two new formats are representing a new price war among all three formats which could cause a war among the pricing structure.

This concerns me because of thsi pricing for the pplayers isn't availbel just yet but at the current pricing structure of at least $500 for the lower end player, the pricing tends to be a little out of the range for me. I love the packaging for the new formats but even with employee discounts, that price tag is a little way off for the average consumer.

Has anyone else expressed any concerns regarding the price war among these formats and how you're going to get dragged onto this conflict?

2. BrettGallman

BrettGallman Screenwriter

My wallet has expressed concerns, that's for sure. [​IMG]

I've been in this conflict as an interested party from the beginning and as a consumer for about two months now. But yes, price is always a concern for the early adopter. If either format takes off, will you be able to buy a quality player down the road for much less than the initial players? Yes, of course. But you also got to enjoy the format for a long time before most people did. So, that's the trade-off. It's the same thing in gaming. Since I can remember, I've always bought a new gaming system at launch, knowing full well that the price would drop significantly within the year. But I also knew that I'd be enjoying the new system immediately, and that's always worth it to me.

I'm really surprised that Target is actually going to sell players and not just software (like Wal-Mart). This is a good sign, but I find it hard to believe that the average customer is going to walk into Target and drop $1000 on a BD player. I'm guessing that most of us have gone into the store (or logged on to an online retailer) with the intention of buying a player. If anything, though, the players in Target will at least alert more of the general public to the existence of the formats. I don't know about anyone else, but at my local BB and CC, you have to meander throughout the store just to find the players. I'm guessing that the average customer browsing at Target will be more likely to stumble upon their BD or HD-DVD setup.

Also, in a sort of related note, has anyone else's Best Buy stores moved the HD-DVDs and BDs to the actual DVD section? Mine did a couple of weeks ago. They were on the "new releases" aisle of the DVDs, which is pretty cool.

3. Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge Cinematographer

That's not all, we're going to be selling Plasma TV's as well. We already sell HD TV's ...

4. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

All the major retail outlets are carrying more and more HD stuff. Wal-Mart, K-Mart, and Target. Wal-Mart has few Plasmas, one of which is a lower end Hitachi.

5. Erin C

Erin C Stunt Coordinator

I scanned a few titles while I was backstocking today.
    Most titles (Paramount,Universal,etc.19.99 Columbia/Sony 29.99)
    19.99 seems pretty average but 29.99 is unacceptable to me,even with my discount it would have to be a BIG title to hook me.