What's new

Target Promotes Pan and Scan : LotR:FotR (1 Viewer)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I was at Target last night, as well as last week.
Last week I switched the Widescreen editions of the film with the MAR editions (they had WS on the lower shelf) as I am wont to do.
This week I noted that not only were they returned (no surprises here) to their original "Full Screen Prominence" display, but the sale prices had changed.
Full Screen Edition: 17.99
Widescreen Edition: 22.99
That's a $5 tax on Widescreen, or a $5 incentive on pan-and-scan.
I read today on DVDFile that both Target and Walmart orderred heavily on the MAR side, enough to cause LotR:FotR to ship 54% OAR 46% MAR. More in touch stores orderred widescreen closer to 8 to 1 over MAR.
I've complained to Target for this attack on Widescreen, and I'd encourage others to do the same. There is no use complaining about how they orderred, but there is no excuse for their charging different amounts for a product with the same SRP and cost.
Target Contact Web Page
Target does not list an 800 number anywhere.

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor
If they really ordered more than half of their Fellowship of the Ring DVD's panned-and-scanned, then they have no choice but to lower the price. Otherwise, I can't imagine they wouldn't be stuck with a bunch of unsold ones. This should be a chance for them to learn from their mistake.

Or do DVD retailers get to send back unsold "remainders" the way book stores do?

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
One could also argue that they overstocked the full screen and had to cut prices by $5 just to get them moving. They are not "taxing" or "attacking" widescreen unless they charge more than MSRP. Should full screen cost less than widescreen? Probably yes since it's worth less (or is that "worthless" - maybe they should give them away for free). ;)
Regards,

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
If you go to Target.com the widescreen release is listed as the top-selling DVD. It carries the same price as the full-screen version, $17.99. Your experience sounds like a one-store anomaly, but I'm going to check it out. Target is based here in Minneapolis.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
has anyone checked their local target yet.
i noticed my local best buy recently had a higher price for harry potter that was only 1 week. but not national.

also as stated ealier it is 17.99 at target.com. which also is part of amazon.com anyway.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
When A Beautiful Mind was first released, Target was selling the WS version $2 less than the P & S version.

I am thankful that Target is stocking the WS version at all, not like Walmart that avoids the WS versions when possible.

jacob w k

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think there are any targets here in Canada but sounds almost like the store is just trying to move the full screen versions because they know the widescreen will sell anyways.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I think they are encouraging buyers to buy into full screen with this price disparity. It doesn't really matter what their thinking is, though I think it's a means to highlight to studios that "fullscreen sells better".

Pan and Scan starts at Target/Walmart, not at Warner Brothers/Fox, etc.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Of course, they should employ truth-in-advertising and have a sign that says, buy this version of the movie at a lower price, we can do this because you're not getting as much of the movie as you are with the more expensive version.
:)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I agree that they bought too many P&S and are trying to move them. They can return stuff, and it's going to be a lot of P&S. Virtually everywhere P&S versions are in low stock in my experience

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Actually, my Target had an equal amount of both, and didn't promote either. They just had the widescreen on the top shelf and the fullscreen on the bottom shelf. So it probably differs with the store. Now Kroger, those sorry asses only had fullscreen. But what do you expect with Kroger. It's gotten to the point where there needs to be a mandatory 5 minute educational spot put on fullscreen releases to let the people know that what they're seeing is not the same film they saw in theaters.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Terrell: Do you mean this week or last week? I think the prices changed this week. Last week I did not see a pricing disparity.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
I heard back from Target's corporate offices, and it was a simple mistake. The company made an error when it entered the sale price in its storewide system, and only the full-screen version was changed. The mistake was caught and fixed on Monday, a spokesman said. Those who saw signs with the different prices after that day were at stores where the word hadn't gotten out to the point where the signs were changed; the widescreen DVDs would have rung up correctly at the register at the sale price despite the signs. "It was our intent for both versions to be $17.99," he said.

You can end the conspiracy theories.

(edited to amend information on signs after follow-up talk with company.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks