Target IS The Grinch

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JudeCincy, Nov 20, 2001.

1. JudeCincy

JudeCincy Auditioning

According to their ad Target is to have "The Grinch" DVD on widescreen. Also, according to the ad there is to be a "free" Grinch watch included with the DVD. When I got to the store first thing this morning when they opened all they had are Full Screen. Yet, in the ad a DVD cover labeled WIDESCREEN is shown along with the ad for the "free" watch. I got all the way home before realizing I had picked up the Full Screen (how could I be so stupid?!!!). I assumed it was my error, so I drove all the way back, only to find out that Full Screen is all they have.

Also, when first entering the store I naturally proceeded to the DVD movie section of the store. Imagine my surprise that "The Grinch" was not in the movie department, but in a display by a cash register. Shouldn't DVDs be in the DVD section???

As I was in quite a hurry, I find this morning to have been a total waste of VALUABLE time, energy, and fuel for my car.

Along with a problem I had while buying Sting's new Cd, I won't be shopping at Target anytime soon.

2. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I'll have to check the Target by me, but with dual formatted titles in the past, they've put full-frame DVD's on their regular DVD display rack and put their widescreen counterparts on an endcap marked "Widescreen."

3. JudeCincy

JudeCincy Auditioning

There were NO Grinch DVDs on the racks in the DVD section. All they had were Full Frame and they were only displayed on a display (end cap) by one of the checkout registers. I spoke to the head of the electronics department. Full Frame is all they have. I had another person there call another Target in my area and they too only had Full Frame. Sucks!!!

4. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

I stopped in at KMart at lunch and they had a massive display for the Grinch. FULL SCREEN ONLY. Plus, they had them all mismarked at the VHS price.

This is a joke. Another reason to only buy DVDs online.

5. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Agent

6. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

My Target also only had full screen. Then I went to Costco. All they had was vhs! Yikes.
    Wal-mart had both p&s and widescreen, as did Best Buy. Circuit City (which had the lowest price, $16.99) only had widescreen. [​IMG]

7. Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand Screenwriter

Paul Hillenbrand
    The "Costco" in my area only had the Full Frame version too. The suggestion box was by the front exit, so I wrote a note telling them that a lot of people want the widescreen version and that they should get with the times!
    My main concern is that a lot more people are going to buy the full screen version because they aren't aware of the different specifications, and that is going to send a false message to the studios that the demand for full screen is greater than it really is.
    Paul

8. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Shit, I didn't realize this was a dual release. I just picked one up off the shelf. Damn, Universal ticks me off! I wonder which one I got? No doubt full screen, just like I accidentally did with Silence of the Lambs.[​IMG]

9. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

10. WilliamG

WilliamG Supporting Actor

11. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I, too, checked Target and found only the FullFrame version in stock. So I went up the street to Best Buy and nabbed it for the same price, plus a free poster.

As for Circuit City having it a buck cheaper, I'll gladly pay the extra dollar to avoid those nimnulls working there!

12. MattGuyOR

MattGuyOR Stunt Coordinator

Now when the full frame outsells the widescreen, we'll probably see more full frame only versions. :-(

13. Shad R

Shad R Supporting Actor

CRAP! Same here, the only place that HAS the widescreen is the place I figured would only have the fullscreen...WAL-MART! What is going on?

Why did Target/Kmart only order the fulscreen? Do they really think that more ppl will buy the fullscreen than widescreen? Do they know how many sales they LOST!

14. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Exactly. This dual release is the Biggest problem DVD faces. And you better Beleive when P&S outsells WS due to the availability issues the studios will jump on this fact.

15. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    ...piss! I just looked at mine and it was also "FULL SCREEN"! This was at Best Buy!
    I'm gonna ask the manager if something could be done to alleviate this kind of problem. Maybe a sign saying stating whatever, but he will get a piece of my mind, sauteed with herbs and spices! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Gavin_L

Gavin_L Second Unit

had no problem when i went to target today, got the widescreen version too.

17. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

I stopped at Wal-Mart today for POTA and was surprised to see that their HUGE Grinch display consisted of widescreen editions and the overpriced interactive P&S - no regular edition P&S! At least consumers will be able to spot the widescreen edition, and think they're getting a bargain over the akward pop-up book that is the interactive P&S version.

I still didn't buy The Grinch, though. Don't plan to.

18. Jerry Hostler

Jerry Hostler Stunt Coordinator

My local Costco had boxes and boxes of the Grinch, but they were all full screen. No sale.
    I stopped by Circuit City on my way home (I heard they were selling SACD's, so I stopped to check[​IMG] They also only had the full screen version. To top it off they didn't have SACD's and the two people I asked said "huh?"
    I noticed they only had the full frame versions of Willy Wonka also.
    What is the point of having dual releases if the B&M's are only going to stock one version? Next time I want a new DVD that is a dual release, I will definitely pre-order online so I don't have to run around town looking for it. How frustrating.[​IMG]
    Jerry

19. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

I feel for you guys! I used to have those problems, then I went to work for a Pro-DVD company and now that I'm Store Mgr, there is ALWAYS Widescreen available for rent and sale! Even in this little town, we sell OAR more [​IMG]
    Matt

20. Richard_Huntington

Richard_Huntington Stunt Coordinator

Both the local Circuit City and Best Buy had BOTH versions, with far more Pan & Scam than widescreen. I asked a clerk at each store if they were stocking more pan & sham, or if the widescreen was just selling better.
    Both clerks replied it was selling much better and one added, "Thank God." [​IMG]