What's new

Taras Bulba now on BD (1 Viewer)

john a hunter

Screenwriter
You never now what you will find when shopping for BD's. Out of the blue this title has been released here in Australia.Bare bones-no extras. PQ looks fine from what I have seen but the sound in mono. No excuse as this was an early 70mm blow up with 6 track sound.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Can you let us know if it is a SL or DL Blu-Ray, and there is not even a trailer?

Interesting idea to release it in australia only!

Originally Posted by john a hunter

You never now what you will find when shopping for BD's. Out of the blue this title has been released here in Australia.Bare bones-no extras. PQ looks fine from what I have seen but the sound in mono. No excuse as this was an early 70mm blow up with 6 track sound.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I have a stereo copy of Taras Bulba (or Bulbous Taurus as a friend of mine likes to call it) on VHS and a mono copy of the film on DVD. Which is a damn shame.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
I checked today for you in a city store as my report was based on a friend's copy.No sign as to whether SL or DL and running time given as 124 MINS. No trailer. Region B. The sleeve says 2 channel stereo but what I heard was certainly mono. At AUD $29.00 it was a no buy for me without a stereo track. When it gets down to about $20, then perhaps. I forgot how good the photography was and it does have one of Waxman's last great scores-even in mono.

Originally Posted by OliverK

Can you let us know if it is a SL or DL Blu-Ray, and there is not even a trailer?

Interesting idea to release it in australia only!

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I opted for the region 2 DVD a few years ago. 2.0 stereo written on the sleeve, but the soundtrack turned out to be a dull mono.

Waxman's score is a favourite of mine, I bought the CD.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
the SD region one certainly is stereo as was the old laserdisc.

the laserdiscs of Taras and Solomon and Sheba had the trailers but the dvd did not

2.0 stereo for all this stuff that was originally 6.0 or 4.0

BTW - the stereo master for Solomon is actually 3.0 with no Surrounds.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Thank you John, seems like MGM intended this to be as cheap as possible.

So I will also be as cheap as possible and wait until I can rent.

Originally Posted by john a hunter

I checked today for you in a city store as my report was based on a friend's copy.No sign as to whether SL or DL and running time given as 124 MINS. No trailer. Region B. The sleeve says 2 channel stereo but what I heard was certainly mono. At AUD $29.00 it was a no buy for me without a stereo track. When it gets down to about $20, then perhaps. I forgot how good the photography was and it does have one of Waxman's last great scores-even in mono.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Taras Bulba (Mediabook A, Blu-ray + DVD)
Blu-ray | Koch Media Home Entertainment
This release has been announced for release July 15, 2019. I found some thread about it on another forum, and it was mentioned this will be a stereo release, although 2.0. So it sounds like it is matrixed. Previous to the Kino blu ray, I had it on DVD and Laser and it was stereo sound. It seems the DVD in this release is Region 2, but the blu ray is supposed to play in American blu ray machines. I went to the Koch site and it is listed, but says nothing about a stereo track and in fact says it is Region B. I really want this film in stereo and if it is stereo and Region B, I will probably get an all region bluray player, but sometimes these things are region free without mentioning it and I don't want to throw my money away for something that would be identical to the Kino blu ray. Couldn't find any reviews, but any additional information any of you may come across, I appreciate it if you post your findings. Thanks.
Of course, I now can't find where I read about this being in true stereo!

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Taras Bulba (Mediabook A, Blu-ray + DVD)

Of course, I now can't find where I read about this being in true stereo!

A few people posted here that it was true stereo, but oddly, when you played the DVD it defaulted to mono & you had to select the stereo option. I hope the German release is stereo, but I'm not convinced*, & will wait for reports from brave early buyers before ordering.

*I understand that the Australian release was also mono, so I'm ready for disappointment.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
A few people posted here that it was true stereo, but oddly, when you played the DVD it defaulted to mono & you had to select the stereo option. I hope the German release is stereo, but I'm not convinced*, & will wait for reports from brave early buyers before ordering.

*I understand that the Australian release was also mono, so I'm ready for disappointment.

Well, I made the mistake of mixing up the releases and recently bought the Australian release, and lo and behold, it is mono. No only that, they added reverb to it. I think I paid $38 for that thing. But then I remembered it was a Koch upcoming release, but want to make sure it has a true stereo option before buying that. I have too many Taras Bulb's laying around. So once things are sorted out, I will remain hopeful, if not happy. The Australian release didn't seem to have any stereo option, just languages and picture quality was no up to the Kino release. Every release was licensed from MGM, so I just don't believe that they could have added the stereo track with little hassle.

Last edited:

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Someone on another site did post saying they had asked Koch, who say the new release does have an English stereo track as supplied by MGM. As others have said, it's no doubt best to wait for confirmation following tomorrow's release date. It's only the stereo audio with Waxman's score which makes the film worth watching!

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Someone on another site did post saying they had asked Koch, who say the new release does have an English stereo track as supplied by MGM. As others have said, it's no doubt best to wait for confirmation following tomorrow's release date. It's only the stereo audio with Waxman's score which makes the film worth watching!

Ooo, I'd have to disagree there. Yul Brynner grabs this film by the scruff of the neck & makes it work (even the dafter bits), I've never seen an actor working so hard. I think I must have been 11 when I first saw this, which is about the right age. I loved the would-be costume epics like this one & The Long Ships & Genghis Khan (all have great music scores).

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Ooo, I'd have to disagree there. Yul Brynner grabs this film by the scruff of the neck & makes it work (even the dafter bits), I've never seen an actor working so hard. I think I must have been 11 when I first saw this, which is about the right age. I loved the would-be costume epics like this one & The Long Ships & Genghis Khan (all have great music scores).

The Long Ships must have looked fantastic except for the scene with the ship models that looks rather silly.

Regarding Taras Bulba, my money is on this having the usual dual mono track that is typical for MGM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks