1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Tarantino's Brief Comments on 'Kill Bill' DVD's

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Stephen_M, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Stephen_M

Stephen_M Agent

2. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Well, that convinced me to wait till vol. 2 comes out and the Super Duper Kill Bill hits the streets. [​IMG]

3. MattWel

MattWel Stunt Coordinator

It's cool that the Japanese version of Vol.1 will be shown with Vol.2 in some U.S. theaters. Hopefully the Japanese version will also show up on Region 1 dvd. It's cool that Tarantino owns the rights to the Japanese cut but if he wants to distribute it on dvd through Miramax/Buena Vista they will have to change their policy of not releasing Unrated or NC-17 material.

4. MattWel

I screwed up,I didn't mean to post again. Is there a way for me to delete this post?

5. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    Im in San Fran right now, and I saw the R3 version sitting in a shop. Im debating if I shoulf pick it up. But if the unedited version is coming to R1, maybe I shouldnt bother.

6. MattWel

Don't buy it JeremySt. Even though Hong Kong got the "Special Japanese Version" in theaters the R3 Hong Kong DVD is the version the rest of the world got. I have no idea why.

7. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Yeah, I'll wait too.

8. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

I will also be waiting for the super duper set to come out

9. Gui A

Gui A Supporting Actor

So by "I'm going to do a special collector's edition of both of them once I'm finished with both of them," does he mean Vol 1 and vol 2, or Kill Bill (JPN ver) and Kill Bill (USA ver)?
    Will I need to import the R2 superduper set?

10. Brian F

Brian F Agent

Since Buena Vista will not release unrated discs, I wonder if Tarantino could take the Japanese version to another studio for DVD release? Maybe...........Criterion? They have released Buena Vista material on DVD in the past.

11. JonBoriss

JonBoriss Stunt Coordinator

aren't they releasing an unrated version of bad santa?

12. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

The "unrated" Bad Santa actually received an R rating. That BV is marketing it as an unrated cut despite that is rather underhanded, as marketing ploys go.

DJ

13. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

Mixed feelings. Glad he's going to go all out and release a "complete" cut of the film, but then again it looks like KB isn't going to find it's way to my DVD shelf until xmas 2005, if even that soon.

-paul

14. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I think it's only fair to mention that this news first appeared on www.DavisDVD.com , but thanks for the reminder of why I'm not buying the new Vol. 1 DVD. [​IMG]

One thing that bothers me a little is that Q seems intent on releasing at least 4 different versions of the movie(s). Talk about stretching ONE movie across a wide variety of profit sources. Volume 1 DVD, Volume 2 DVD, Volume 1 Japanese Version, Volume 2 Japanese Version, 3-disc version with both movies combined into one (U.S. and Japanese, sold separately), 3-disc version with all-new "Behind the Sword" documentary disc, etc., etc.

Having seen and enjoyed Vol. 2, what I'd most want to see now is Tarantino's original cut. That one that was supposed to be "one 3-hour action movie" that somehow expanded into 2 separate 120+ minute movies.

I don't want to sound completely cynical, as both halves of the film are quite excellent and I look forward to owning 'em both on DVD eventually. I just still don't dig the whole "split it up into two movies" concept. Not at all.

15. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Im tired of double dipping and Im waiting.

16. Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey Cinematographer

I won't be waiting because it seems like these "promised future editions" take forever to become a reality. Daredevil director's cut anyone? Unless the studio will put forth a date for a new cut before the theatrical hits shelves I don't trust them. Future editions will always be contingent on good box office gross of the film itself and good sales for the DVD. Either one of those fails and the vaunted-SE's that these directors promise may never come to fruition.

Del Toro is promising a director's cut of Hellboy by the end of the year. I'm almost inclined to believe that one since its Columbia they have no qualms of double dipping. I'm guessing it won't actually hit this year, though. I'll bet Columbia decides to hold it until a few months before Hellboy 2 to start the hype machine.

17. Nick T Robot

Nick T Robot Supporting Actor

I won't be waiting because I love this film so much. It's not the greatest film ever made, by a long shot. But it's such a fun film.

I don't mind double/triple dipping on this movie. Plus the fact that we don't know what's in store for the future, and it's only $15 why not buy this barebones release?

18. Kain_C

Kain_C Screenwriter

As long as people continue to double dip, so will studios see that as the best way to make money and not only continue the practice, but probably make it a standard tactic on most releases.

19. Tim_Stack

Tim_Stack Second Unit

Exactly Kain - what's so hard about renting it (or Netflix) until the version you really want is available?

20. David_SG

David_SG Stunt Coordinator

Well fortunately, the version I really want is available right now, and if I see added value in future releases, I'll happily buy those as well.

As long as we're getting pretty much different versions of the film in subsequent releases (and I'm not talking merely extras), I don't consider it a "double dip". Funny, I bet if Lucas wanted to release a barebones version of the OT as an alternative to a super delux special edition release, not too many people would complain about double dipping. Or who am I kidding - of course they would.