Tape Wire.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jeff Cox, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Jeff Cox

Jeff Cox Auditioning

I was reading on the forums at buildmytheater.com and they were talking about this stuff called Tape Wire. Its like paper thin speaker wire. Has anyone used it?

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Jeff. Welcome to HTF!

I've never heard of "Tape Wire". Monster and Radio Shack sell a 14 ga wire that is flat so it tacks against a wall or can be shoved behind a baseboard - this could be what they are talking about.

[​IMG]

I found that running good 12 ga wire in the wall through plastic electrical outlet box's works quite well and is not hard to do if you have a crawlspace under the house. Good OFC 12 ga can be found like the "Sound King" brand from www.partsexpress.com.

Remember that the longer runs need THICKER wire. One speaker site suggested:

1-10 ft: 16 ga
    11-20 ft: 14 ga
    20+ ft: 12 ga

(There is a roll-off of higher frequencies with long runs of wire. The effect is reduced, but not eliminated with thicker wire.)

While you COULD save a few $ by buying different thicknesses, many of us just buy a spool of 12 ga and use it everywhere.

Hope this helps.

3. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    I think you might be talking about stuff like: http://www.decorp.com/

It's probably a lot costlier than the options noted by Bob. I don't know anyone who has used it personally.