What's new

Tapatalk Is Going Away (1 Viewer)

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Some of you use the HTF Android app - so we have tried to keep it working as long as possible. Unfortunately, the company who make the app (Tapatalk) have started to store user information from forums and have begun to sell advertising based upon this information. Our philosophy at HTF is that nobody should ever have access to our member's data, posting habits or online activity in any way. As a result the ownership have had to make the unfortunate decision to remove Tapatalk support from HTF and unpublish our app in Google play.

This decision will not be reconsidered, so please post here only if you need support with the mobile browser version of HTF, which works on any device.

Thanks for your understanding.

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Is the mobile version different from the one we had a few years ago? I still have that one, but it doesn't work. Hasn't updated in ages. I can't find anything under "Home Theater Forum" or "HTF" in the app store.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I believe by "mobile", Dave is referring to a mobile browser. The app itself was based on Tapatalk, and you can't find it because it's been unpublished.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Some of you use the HTF Android app - so we have tried to keep it working as long as possible. Unfortunately, the company who make the app (Tapatalk) have started to steal user information from forums and have begun to sell advertising based upon this information. Our philosophy at HTF is that nobody should ever have access to our member's data, posting habits or online activity in any way. As a result the ownership have had to make the unfortunate decision to remove Tapatalk support from HTF and unpublish our app in Google play.

This decision will not be reconsidered, so please post here only if you need support with the mobile browser version of HTF, which works on any device.

Thanks for your understanding.
An app that, while I've never used it myself, was no doubt, very useful to some. What a pity the makers of Tapatalk have chosen to taint their service over stupid corporate greed.

I echo Josh's appreciation in your having our backs, in terms of privacy issues! Thanks, Dave! :)

CHEERS! :)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I will miss it, but I completely understand why you guys made the decision you did. Add me to the chorus who appreciate the HTF looking out for our privacy.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I've already easily moved over to using a mobile browser icon on my phone and tablet. I completely understand your decision and applaud it. Thank you.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Great! Now if we can figure out a way to mute an entire sub-forum so I don't have to see DOCTOR STRANGE 4 SALE posts when I click "New Posts," I'll be a happy camper.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I constantly browse this site on my iPhone and it remembers my login. You might need to check Safari's cookie settings.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
It took me a few attempts to keep logged in on my iPhone, I don't remember exactly how I did it but it stays logged in now.

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
I also am considering uninstalling Tapatalk but would like to ask for some clarification. The stated reason is dissatisfaction with the android app. Since I use an iPhone do you know if the same problems exist with the iOS app? If they do then I'll uninstall it and write a low rated review, otherwise I'll keep it and use it for other fora.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I also am considering uninstalling Tapatalk but would like to ask for some clarification. The stated reason is dissatisfaction with the android app. Since I use an iPhone do you know if the same problems exist with the iOS app? If they do then I'll uninstall it and write a low rated review, otherwise I'll keep it and use it for other fora.
The issue is with Tapatalk themselves on the back end. They are collecting statistics about your habits and selling that to advertisers if you use their app.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks