What's new

Pre-Order Tap Roots (1948) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
81JQ6S1NWTL._SX522_.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, I'm looking forward to this blind buy. If anybody is interested in seeing a more modern story-telling regarding the main storyline then you should see "Free State of Jones".

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I will definitely be buying this disc. It's been one of those films very difficult to see. In my days - decades ago - of frequenting re-run houses, Tap Roots never got a showing.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Yeah, I'm looking forward to this blind buy. If anybody is interested in seeing a more modern story-telling regarding the main storyline then you should see "Free State of Jones".
Free State is a better film, by a wide margin. Having received less than stellar reviews back in ‘48, Tap Roots virtually disappeared.

I saw it when I purchased a Kodachrome reduction print in the late ‘60s. That was a methodology for striking 16mm for a short period. Contrast had a tendency to bloom, but one had color.

I’m hoping that this is a quality job from Universal, as I’ve only seen the film in chrome, and it’s the work of the great Winton Hoch.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Free State is a better film, by a wide margin. Having received less than stellar reviews back in ‘48, Tap Roots virtually disappeared.

I saw it when I purchased a Kodachrome reduction print in the late ‘60s. That was a methodology for striking 16mm for a short period. Contrast had a tendency to bloom, but one had color.

I’m hoping that this is a quality job from Universal, as I’ve only seen the film in chrome, and it’s the work of the great Winton Hoch.
Right, this BD release came out of nowhere as the release date is next Tuesday.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Looks like the release date has been pushed back. Amazon has it as temporarily out of stock (actually it was never in stock) and it's "backordered" everywhere else.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
What a strange release for TAP ROOTS is; from Kino. It seems to have been announced and shortly after, released on Blu ray with little fanfare. I noticed the copyright date on the sleeve said 1958, which I assumed was a misprint, but when viewing the film, the copyright was indeed listed as 1958. It was a Walter Wanger production done through Universal-International. Usually the Wanger films are in public domain since they didn’t renew copyrights, such as TULSA (1949). TAP ROOTS (first released theatrically in 1948) is a barebones release with no trailer, commentary or anything other than the movie itself. I wonder if Universal was able to copyright it during its reissue theatrical release which I think was around 1958.

Not a great film, but I think it may be the finest Technicolor transfer from Universal of all their forties films thus released. For that alone, I am happy I bought it. It has a decent cast, Van Heflin, Susan Hayward, Boris Karloff, Julie London, and Ward Bond and like I said, the color alone makes it worthwhile for me.

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
What a strange release for TAP ROOTS is; from Kino. It seems to have been announced and shortly after, released on Blu ray with little fanfare . . . . . .

Not a great film, but I think it may be the finest Technicolor transfer from Universal of all their forties films thus released. For that alone, I am happy I bought it. It has a decent cast, Van Heflin, Susan Hayward, Boris Karloff, Julie London, and Ward Bond and like I said, the color alone makes it worthwhile for me.
I agree with this, having watched the disc last night. I'm very pleased to have this one in my collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks