Tannoy vs. EdgeAudio vs. Ascend Acoustics vs. Home Theater Direct

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Geoff MK, Sep 1, 2001.

1. Geoff MK

Geoff MK Extra

Hi everyone, I am thinking of putting together a 5.1 speaker setup for my new house. I don't have a lot of money to spend and the room is not very large so I am mainly looking at small speakers. I think I am going to get either the Hsu Research VTF-2 or SVS 20-39PC for the sub. After some research, I've narrowed my choice down to 4 sets of speakers. The Tannoy mX2, EdgeAudio 512D, Ascend Acoustics CBM-170, and the Home Theater Direct Level III Tower Speakers. They are similarly priced, about $350 - 450 USD per pair. With three sets of them being sold in online stores only, I cannot audition them without ordering them first, with the exception of the EdgeAudio, which I listened to at my friend's house. I was very impressed with those, I must say. But I've read rave reviews on all others as well. So please help me make up my mind. Thanks.
    Geoff

2. ArnaudP

ArnaudP Stunt Coordinator

I am in a similar situation. I am thinking Tannoy mX2 or EdgeAudio. I have auditioned the Tannoy mX2 and mXc: they sound great! I wish I could listen to the EdgeAudio without having to order them.

3. Barry_B_B

Barry_B_B Second Unit

Wondered if either of you had any news on this, as I was considering HTD then found out about Edge/Aperion speakers. Main thing that bothers me is the Edge's 86db sensitivity, might be kinda low for my Yamaha receiver? [​IMG]

4. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

5. ArnaudP

ArnaudP Stunt Coordinator

I bought the Tannoy Mx2 and Mxc last week and I am very pleased with them. The Mx2 sound even better when placed on stands.

6. Barry_B_B

Barry_B_B Second Unit

Arnaud, which model stands did you go with for the Tannoys?

7. Jo_M

Jo_M Stunt Coordinator

You can try the HTD Level III's for 30 days. They'll pay to ship them both ways but I don't think that includes the Level III towers. You can get the Level III system without the towers and they'll let you try them for 30 days. When they come off back order I'm going to try them.

8. Thomas F

Thomas F Stunt Coordinator