Tannoy ST-50 Supertweeter

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by JohnBAIL, May 8, 2004.

1. JohnBAIL

JohnBAIL Extra

Does anyone have any experience with the Tannoy ST-50 supertweeter? It acts as an add-an to existing speakers and have had very good reviews.

I'm considering getting a pair to upgrade my Energy C-7 speakers. Any thoughts?

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

The topic of transducers with the capability of going beyond your usual 20K was discussed here recently. Draw your own conclusions.

3. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

John

Years ago, some speaker maker came out with an add-on super tweeter. As I recall, it had as many as 4 tweeters. It was advertised by saying it improved dispersion greatly, and added the really highest frequencies.

As soon as I fired them up, I was somewhat disappointed. The added dispersion may have been important if I had 4 different listening positions, but alas, I only had one. Any extension in the upper frequencies was barely noticable. Back they went.

I'm willing to risk putting my foot in my mouth, but I think most of what we perceive as treble is in the 4,000 Hz to 10,000 Hz range.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If it is "add on", does that mean it has it's own built in crossover? How do you wire it in? Your C-7s are already on the bright side (to me), you want to add to that?