Tannoy Saturn 6 Vs Tannoy Definition D 300

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by simone_s, Jan 5, 2003.

1. simone_s

simone_s Auditioning

I found them at the same price, which is the best for you?
    Thanks a lot,
    Simone

2. Mike_Ch

Mike_Ch Stunt Coordinator

Simone,

I have the Saturn's, which use similar drivers to those in the Definition range. However, the D-series uses better cabinets and better quality components in the crossovers. The 6's will have more bass, but if this is not a concern, I would go for the D300's.

Btw, did you end up comparing the Tannoy's to the Kef Q series or any other speaker ranges? What did you find?

Cheers,
    Mike

3. simone_s

simone_s Auditioning

Thank you very much Mike for your replys,
    Where I live it's hard to find Tannoy dealers, so at this moment I could not listen to the Tannoy Saturn and definition.
    I' ve checked many speakers at the price range of about 1000$ (b&W, Jmlab, Sonus Faber, Chario, Triangle, ecc.),and the one I prefer is the kef q5 (or q3).
    I have read and heard so well about Tannoy that I want to listen to them before buying something.
    The problem that it's really difficult for me to listen to the d300 cause they are sold only in Germany now.
    Are there many differences between Saturn and d300's in listening music like trip hop or jazz ?

Cheers,
    Simone

4. Mike_Ch

Mike_Ch Stunt Coordinator

I haven't heard the 300's personally, but from reading various newsgroups and boards, I think the general consensus was that the D-series was superior to the Saturn's in clarity and imaging, which was mainly due to having really excellent, non-parallel sided cabinets, and better crossover components (large air-cored inductors instead of ferrite-cored ones etc). There was a rumour going on that Tannoy lost money on the D-series because of the cost of production was so high.

The D300 has only one 6" driver, while the S6's have 2, so the bass output will be much greater which is good for jazz and trip hop. However, I will take extra clarity in the midrange and bass over bass output anyday, but that is just me. But if you are using a sub anyway, I would definitely stick with the D300's (if I could go back I probably would have spent the extra money getting the D500's, not because the Saturns are bad, but because the D series is so good!). If you like the Kef Q series sound, you will like the Tannoys.

Cheers,
    Mike