What's new

Tannoy or not? (1 Viewer)

Riaad

Agent
Hi
I have some cheap Jvc speakers and
im thinking of upgrading them.I am interested in purchasing the Tannoy MX range.
MXC (Center chanel)
Mx3 or Mx4 (Mains)
Mx1(surrounds)

Ill be connecting them to a :
Harmon kardon AVR 300RDS along with a
JVC 503 dvd.

My room is small to medium.

I dont have a sub as yet.I plan to get one once i get my speakers.
I have read a few reviews on these speakers and they seem excellent.
I am so confused as there are so many brands out there.
I would appreciate it if someone could advise me if its good buy or recommend some other brand in this price range .

Thanks in advance.
Riaad

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to the forum, Riaad!

I used to own the Tannoy MX-1 and they were great speakers. Excellent build and sound quality. I don't think you can go wrong with Tannoys. Aside from sound quality, it depends on what other brands are available to you and how much are they. Try out as many brands as possible. I just picked up a pair of Energy C1's and they are in the MX-1's price range. Great speakers too. Don't know if these are available to you in South Africa?

Riaad

Agent
Hi

Thanks Danny

The speakers that I have now are Jvc . The mains are large speakers which sound ok and thay give off quit alot of base. Hoever tha reason why i want to upgrade is because my center and surrounds are vey weak. They are about 30 - 40 watt speakers and they dont hold up at all.

I figured if I am going to change them, Ill need to change my mains as well as they say you should have your speakers matched.

The one thing that they do say is that the Tannoys dont have much base and I was wondering if I should get a subwoofer first and then get the rest of the speakers or should I start with the center, surrounds and then mains ?

Regards
Riaad

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
It depends on your taste regarding the amount of bass produced by the MX-3 or MX-4. In my opinion, the MX-seies floorstanding speakers produce very tight and good amount of bass, especially in a small to medium size room. I would suggest trying the Tannoy floorstanders, if possible in your own room, and see if you like them. Then decide which opinion you prefer....the L/R speakers or the subwoofer.

Will your system bemore music-oriented or movie-oriented?

Riaad

Agent
Hi

Ill be using it more for movies.

I think Ill upgrade the speakers first and then when my budget allows , Ill get the sub.

Any good subwoofers that you recommend.I have heard Yamaha is very good . Any Suggestions ?

Regards
Riaad

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
Riaad,

I auditioned the MX3 in home versus the Mirage FRx5. The MX3 had wonderful mids and awesome highs where as the Mirage had a warm overall sound. The Tannoys with my system were a bit bright( I have since then upgraded my crappy Sony DE receiver).
This was before I had an SVS 25-31PCi.

I ended up getting the Mirage FRx-7 towers (great price, service,warranty 5years etc..)but I wonder how the Tannoys would have blended set to small with my new sub. Don't get me wrong, I am fully satisfied with my Mirages, but I will always wonder!
If you think you maybe getting a sub, or have a particular one in mind, I would get the sub and try an in-home audition to see how they will blend.
Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks