Tannoy Mercury or B&W DM602 with Yamaha RX-V3000?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RobertSchaez, Oct 16, 2002.

1. RobertSchaez

RobertSchaez Stunt Coordinator

I haven't read many opinions on Tannoy Mercury speakers and wondered what folks here thought of them with a Yamaha receiver. I probably listen to 50/50 music/HT and have a 15'X 20'X 10' room. Music taste ranges from heavy rock to some jazz and acoustical stuff. I have a NHT Sub1i for low end. Unfortunately, the dealer here in S.F. won't give refunds if I take them home and don't like them, only exchanges.

My other top contending choice is the B&W 602. I listened to the 603 from last series, but not the new (S3) version. I liked the imaging, but not the semi-uncontrolled mid bass. Great midrange. Didn't listen long enough to notice fatigue from the metal tweeter, but wondered if I would over time.

BTW, I will be assembling a 5 speaker setup, so will also need surrounds and center.

Thanks

2. Mike_Ch

Mike_Ch Stunt Coordinator

Hi Robert,

The Tannoy Mercury's, while very good, are not really the equivalent of the B&W 600 series. Instead, try to listen to some Tannoy Saturns, which compare better price-wise (and which I preferred over the 600 series 2 range). Tannoy's generally have what some call a "warm" sound, that is, the high frequencies are rolled off slightly, and has an excellent, explicit midrange. This is very good for jazz and acoustic music, however, the lower-end Tannoy's are not as dynamic as say the equivalent B&W's are IMHO. However, listen for yourself, and since you sound like you'll be spending a not insubstantial amount of money, try to get an in-home audition.

Cheers,
    Mike

3. RobertSchaez

RobertSchaez Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Mike, I'll give the Saturns a try, maybe the Revolutions too. But, like I said, the only dealer around here does not allow in-home trials. You buy to try with no refunds, only exchanges. That leaves me thinking it may not be worth the chance.
    R

4. Mike_Ch

Mike_Ch Stunt Coordinator

At the shop, try to use all the same equipment and music (that is, audition B&W's with the same Yamaha receiver as you use to audition the Tannoy's). Of course, room acoustics will be different, but you should be able to get a rough gauge of how each speaker sounds. Since you don't like the Tannoy dealer, I would make sure the Tannoy's are much better to your ears than the B&W's. [​IMG]
    Cheers,
    Mike