Tang Band woofers... any good?

Erick P

Stunt Coordinator
I got a pair of old NHT Model-2's handed down to me and they sound great, only thing is that the mids blew on them at some point and whoever had them before jury rigged some mids in there that don't even fit in the hole. I found some nice looking Tang Band 6.5" woofers on Parts Express that have more or less the same frequency response as the stock mids for a reasonable price.

Whats the general consensus on Tang Band speakers?

The ones I want are model # W6-789S

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=264-852

Thanks

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
How can you tell if they have the same frequency respose when they don't post a frequency graph or any exported CLIO information like they do with the RS150S-8? That information is vital in rebuilding your crossover. A speaker is a system and any time you change a part (mid, tweeter or cabinet) then you have to adjust the crossover to compensate for the change. Anything else is just a shot in the dark. To get the sound back to it's factory quality it would be best to contact NHT or find a replacement designed for that speaker. If you still want to continue with your experiment, I would go with the Dayton RS series (6" link is above) that fits the best.

-Robert

Erick P

Stunt Coordinator
Some company wanted $45 a piece for the replacement woofers and I don't know if its going to be an exact replacement or just a crappy replacement.

I was just basing the similarity on the frequency response. Someone I contacted about replacement speakers told me the factory mids had a response range from 50hz - 7khz and the Tangs range is 45hz - 10khz.

If you saw whats in there right now I'm sure you'd agree that at this point, anything else would sound much better, lol

Erick P

Stunt Coordinator
Ok that speaker won't fit...

Is there somewhere other than parts-express that sells speakers?

Thanks

Erick P

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, I'll bookmark those sites for future reference.

I ended up finding a company that sells OEM replacements since none of the speakers I was looking at had the exact dimensions needed to properly fit the cabinets.

Crappy speakers and all, I love these towers! Everything sounds so much better than when I was using my poor little Infinity speakers.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArtW34