What's new

Tang Band W8-740C (1 Viewer)

Deyton

Auditioning
My first post (in the right section)! Sorry for all the questions :frowning:

Does anyone know how these will preform as midbass + bass drivers? Like 40-500hz? Or do they sound like crap that high?

Also, how will they in tiny boxes? Fooling around with winisd, it seems to be decent in 8-9L ported and 5L sealed, but how will it work in real life? I want to put a pair in the kickpanels of my truck, so space is limited.

Any suggestions for a tiny box 8 inch sub are welcome as well!

Deyton

Auditioning
I found that comparison you did, and the MCM won? Where would I buy one of those, and will it work in tiny boxes as well? Thanks a lot.

AllanRW

Second Unit
I have a lot more data on the MCM and TB drivers.
The suspension on the MCM after a few months starts to loosen up a lot.The TB does not.
Vote goes TB on this one.
I have a lot of data on the TB and MCM and the TB just is a better built unit over the MCM in the end after 6 months of testing.

Al

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Deyton,

You could try dropping Al an email. He's a pretty busy guy so I doubt he's on the forum more than every few days or so.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Brian, what happened? Al was saying the MCM was quite a bit better. ????
Deyton, I put a TB in a 12" sealed cube with plate amp and the SPL was unacceptable for home use. These drivers should only be used in autos to take advantage of the large cabin gain.

AllanRW

Second Unit
Ok guys I have a few minutes.
Thanks Brian for the comments.
I only pop in and out everyday but answer a few posts.I get anywere up to 50 emails aday about the TB drivers and or anyother combo.So I just pick my replies.As time is short.

Ok on the MCM,TB 8" drivers
I have said before they will only work with a high excursion large Xmax PR.Not sealed or ported.
As the port would need to be too long.
Well just happens so I have over 65 pages of info from Mr Wright and Mr Koonce on the 8" drivers
These are what they just finished testing.
MCM 2421
TB W8
MA-Ma80Xe
The results.
Well the MA driver was dropped after the first round of testing as it will not meet the HT frame.Needs cabin gain to work.
The TB and MCM headed to round 2.
Results.They are saying the MCM fits a .7cft net volume cabinet tuned to FB-38hz and a F3-of 34hz.
Ported with 3" pipes folded up in the cabinet 2-90dgr and 3 180dgr crude bends.
Over cabinet size was 13"X13"X16 3/8" deep.If the port works out.
The TB.8cft tuned to a FB-32Hz and a F3-30Hz.
They are testing 2 tuned cabinets as they liked the TB for the same reson I said a few months ago.When I said I have changed my mind to TB after afew more tests.
Cabinet for the TB.
13"highX13 1/4"wideX15 5/8" deep.
using a 3" persion portend and PVC in the rest that is 22" folded up in the cabinet.
All used the corning 705 insulation in the test.
I have the data and will supply some for thos wanting it.
So they are still testing the TB and MCM as they are doing everything not to use a PR as I did.For the cost factor and they both do not like a PR in a sub.

Back to my comments.I changed my mind a few months ago as after time the compliance in the MCM gets looser,as does the suspension compliance.Poor spyde quality is the reason.
I noticed that the MCM sub was getting sloppy , in the HT use.The cone was bottoming out were before it was not.I switched the drivers in the cabinet back to the TB and wala.No problem.
So comments as last stated on the MCM.The suspension loosens up toooooooooo much after time.
The TB does not.
I use them with the RCM PR from CSS in 1cft cabinet.Hitting the 30hz range.
I have got lots of email asking about using thee TB ina car.
Yes use it tuned to 35HZ and you will have one killer little sub.
I had a person say he just bought 4 from Nuera and was tuning them all to 35hz for his car.And after he emailed to say they worked out great.

Hope this helps this issue.

Al

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I've got one of the TB 8's in an 11" cube with a 250W plate amp (the one with the boost built in) and it's not bad, but I haven't taken any response measurements yet. I'm setting up my measurement system soon so I'll try to take some in room responses with more than just an SPL meter.

If we could get PE plate amps with an LT board I think this could be a decent little sub for small rooms. Of course, overall cost of the amp/LT combo would determine the viability of such a sub.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Al, thanks for the update. I missed seeing your reversal on 8" sub preferences.

Brian, I too wish P.E. would offer a small and a large plate amp with an L-T circuit incorporated. They would be useful for many driver applications. Why don't you send them a request, asking them to take a poll on the forums?

AllanRW

Second Unit
Hank.
I have over 60 pages of info and will have to scan them and then get some to you.
The info is not being released yet as they are doing this for another artical for the AEE magazine.So with my original work on the 8" and the work they did this will be going to print.

Anyway the pipe.
http://members.shaw.ca/awooley/pictu...edpipevent.jpg
here is one of the pictures I was sent from them.

Coatings.Well I got the little NSB to 20K how is that.
Now I am trying that on the 879S::::))))))))

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Hank,

There might be a plate amp with LT option available soon. I wouldn't use it with any of these little 8" drivers (think Stryke AV12's or AV15's). I'll let you know more when the time comes.

Deyton

Auditioning
Hey Al, if you got a minute any of the info on the TB W8 you want to send my way would be greatly appreciated.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Al, thanks for the photo link. I was wondering why they had such a large gross cabinet volume - now I understand. That's a lot of volume taken up by the PVC pipe. Two 3" flared ends and 22" of PVC between them, eh?

Speaking of the 879's, Brian and I are switching to that driver for our mini's. Keep on truckin' ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks