1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Tang Band compter speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeremy Hopkins, Oct 1, 2002.

1. Jeremy Hopkins

My computer speakers are dieing...They are a cheap say/sub combo that had alright sound and bass when I bought them...Run a few sign sweets through them and they are dieing..

I was thinking about making a pair of speakers using the Tang Band W3-871s. For about $20 buck cdn and a probably combinded price of under $100 for eveything I think they could make some nice computer speakers. I know they wont have mountians of bass, but that should be able to suplimented with a very small sub or two.

I was thinking something like a 6 liter ported enclosure tuned to 75Hz. The port would be 2" diam 5.5" long.

What do you think? Good bad? What would be a good idea to make a very cheap buy effective "bass module" ?(can't bring myself to say sub woofer so I'll resort to Bose tactics).

Cheers,

Jeremy

2. AllanRW

AllanRW Second Unit

W3-871S.
    A very good article will be out in the Audio mag around Xmas on the W3-871S .Designed by Mr.Koonce,Wright.
    The W3-871S is as in the words of those of testing and designing speakers for 25 plus years.
    The finest and most econo full range driver with a flat response they have ever seen.

I am using them now for my own personal cubes I have built still have not measured them as i am to happy to find out anything different than what I hear.

Running 5 of these little cubes and the W8-740C or the MCM 55-2421 which I am doing a shoot off sort of speaking.
    And the small SUB 100 AMP from Solen or the 792 from PE in a 12" sealed cube will give a very small system with a high dollar sound no holes barred.
    Cost $300.00 CND for all drivers and AMP and away you go.

I am getting a Alum cube made for my W8/2421 MCM shoot out to see and listen to a Sub in a Alum cube.

You will not be un happy with the W3-871S.

And yes I do know just a little about the TB line from Nuera.

Al

3. Jeremy Hopkins

What about using the W6-789s as a "bass module" ("laser"...sorry I couldn't resisit [​IMG]) The enclosure would be pretty big: 75L tuned to 35Hz....Or maybe the 8" but the amp that I will be using can only handle 8 ohms....I might talk to a friend to see if we can build a really cheap amp/active crossover for it.
    What do you think? Cheap computer speakers that will put out mountains of power? Anyone want in on this? wanna help out [​IMG] . No crossover makes a big difference too [​IMG]
    Cheers
    Jeremy

4. Jeremy Hopkins

By any chance Allen are you RAW on the diyaudio forms....Its just that you post here is pretty similiar to one on that form [​IMG]....Sometimes you just can't get enought of DIY speakers you just gotta mve around a lot like me [​IMG]...

5. AllanRW

AllanRW Second Unit

Ya it is me[​IMG]
    I am running the cubes full range and have played with a 1.2-1.8 16G in series with the positive and it does smooth out the hashness and clean the highs.
    Al

6. Jeremy Hopkins

How big are you cubes? I'm looking for something that will play to about 150-100Hz. Then augment that with a sub. After reading some other post someone was mentioning that at 100Hz the xmax of the speaker was being exceeded.

Would me last sixe description work? Should I go ported or Sealed. If I can get the sub for a good price then I think I will go sealed, just for the smoother rolloff.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Jeremy

7. AllanRW

AllanRW Second Unit

Jeremy.
    I can send you a copy of the test data I have on the W3-871S in cubes from MR KOONCE.
    Just drop a email and I will forward it to you.
    The 150 is as low as far as they can go with power limits.
    They will go lower, but I am running thyem crossed over at the most i could on the 794,792 and the W3 will only stay stable in the 140-150 range.

Its like this do you have the W3 yet.
    If so build a 4" cube.Cheap as can be. run the W3 fullrange and tell me your findings.

Al

8. Jeremy Hopkins

I gotta stop reading and start doing school work....

What about the Adire AV8 as a sub? Just curious....PLus being about to shove the sub on my surrent desk wouldn't be a big problem...I look shielded drivers!!!!

Cheers,

Jeremy

9. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Al,

Have you tried any of the new 3" drivers from MCM yet?

Brian

10. AllanRW

AllanRW Second Unit

Brian.As a fact in my email this AM from Jay he is sending me some of the 606 and 1853 to try.
    The 606 is as he says a close match for the 319S1 from TB.
    I have also asked him as he is heading over for the show in Tiawan to ask Lyeco about making some 3" along the TB W3-871S-879 and some 4' full range to compete with TB.
    This point he is also going to talk to them about at the same time.
    But I am waiting for the new W4 from TB Billy has told me the new one has a Neo motor .
    So I am waiting to get that one.

Al

11. Jeremy Hopkins

Alright....I'm gonna have to give myself a few days to decide on a sub....hmmmm

Jeremy