1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Tammy TV Series

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by timk1041, Apr 27, 2019.

?

Does anyone know about a possible Region 1 release by Universal for the Tammy TV Series?

1. Yes.

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Not sure or no.

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. timk1041

timk1041 Stunt Coordinator

Timothy
    I have seen pictures when I search online. It looks like a Limited Edition for the Tammy TV Series possibly Region 1 put out by Universal , but I've never seen it sold anywhere. I know there was a Region 2 release some time ago. Can anyone help me out with this?

2. rcbrad

rcbrad Agent

Rick
    i have noticed this before and I could be wrong, but wouldn't this be considered a bootleg offering?

https://www.shop.thomasfilmclassics.com/TAMMY-THE-COMPLETE-TV-SERIES-55567.htm

I saw this on two different sites, where each seller claimed this series to be in the public domain.

I would tend to doubt that this would be in the public domain, but perhaps someone with more extensive knowledge could comment.

3. timk1041

Timothy
    Yes. I have seen those too. I do know a Region 2 release is available from Universal on ebay. It has the entire 26 episodes plus all the movies. Some of the text on the case is in German. However, when I search online I see a picture of what appears to be a Region 1 release by Universal. It says Complete Series and says Limited Edition. All the text is in English. The DVD number on the side says 33123, the number Universal has for this. There is an image of this from Customaniacs. org. I cannot post or download the image. I can't tell the year this possible set was released. Could it have been a special edition released years ago and not for sale any longer? You might think there would still be copies for sale someplace. Maybe it is a set coming out later this year? Any comments or information would be helpful.

4. mark-edk

mark-edk Second Unit

Thomas Film Classics used to be a store in my neck of the woods (Detroit area). Years ago it was a regular stop for me; they'd special order hard to find laserdiscs, get me Beta versions of VHS tapes, and were super knowledgeable. They also dealt in films, but I paid little attention to that part of the store. Eventually they closed and a while later reappeared as an internet/mail-order outfit. I have some of their dvd sets: drawn from 16mm film copies, air-checks, transfers 'borrowed' from Alpha video, etc. Probably no better or worse than most such transfers. Any given set might have a few really troublesome xth-generation fuzzy blob transfers but most are watchable. I wonder if the guy I dealt with is still involved. His name was Jim.

5. Harry-N

Harry-N Producer

Harry N.
    Somewhere in my old reel-to-reel tapes, I have a recording of some closing TV theme and the voice-over is from Debbie Watson promoting the next episode of TAMMY. But I've never seen a frame of the show.

6. B-ROLL

B-ROLL Cinematographer

Bryan
    They edited four episodes together and released it as a "film" (Tammy and the Millionaire) to theaters. Bryan's mommy was non-too-pleased and asked for a refund. She thought it was the Debbie Reynolds Tammy ... :rolleyes:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tammy_(TV_series)

There are rumors she grew up to become a less than competent film projectionist ;) ...

timk1041 likes this.
  7. Brother Theodore

Nick M.
    Just by the fact that almost every other region 2 German DVD set I purchased ("The Bad News Bears" TV series and "Here's Boomer") have found a subsequent region 1 release, I would say that the odds are good since I purchased "Tammy" as well.

If it does, keep your eyes peeled for "Mister Terrific," too, and all four sets I purchased from Amazon Germany will have made it to region 1. I once joked on another forum when someone posted a link to a literal million dollar ebay auction for rare Partridge Family music that if I had the money I would bid because, if I won, it would mean an endless stream of legitimate, archival quality, studio releases of every note David Cassidy ever recorded.

8. timk1041

Timothy
    Yes. I heard of Thomas Film Classics and they have a complete set of Tammy, but have no idea how good it is. I don't think this series is public domain though.

9. timk1041

Timothy
    How is the German set of that?

10. Brent Reid

Brent Reid Supporting Actor

Brent
    Of course it's a bootleg, as is just about everything else on that thieving site. If Thomas Film Classics was once a physical store in Detroit, presumably "Thomas", "Jim" or whoever also approved of shoplifters, as that's the business he's gone into.

Mind-boggling that collectors would rather buy substandard knock-offs than invest a modest sum in a multi-region set-up, and enjoy quality releases wherever they're from.

Neil Brock likes this.
  11. Lecagr

Lecagr Second Unit

Lee
    As far as I know, Thomas Film Classics is a continuation/offshoot of Nostalgia Merchant. It seems to be a bootleg site but they sell some classic TV show DVD's that are not otherwise available at regular retail. They have some interesting stuff, the Tammy series for example, also a near complete collection (37 of 39 episodes) of Meet Corliss Archer. Another interesting item is a collection of The Farmers Daughter episodes, I believe it's 64 episodes on 16 DVD's.

Purple Wig and Flashgear like this.
  12. oldtvshowbuff

oldtvshowbuff Supporting Actor

James Beer
    And TFC is offering Seasons 1 & 2 of Laramie, quite obviously tapings from Starz or even GRIT!!!

13. timk1041

Timothy
    I am interested in finding out if anyone has seen the picture of the Tammy TV series Region 1 from Universal.

14. Brother Theodore

Nick M.
    Nice looking, though older prints. Some have a slight, very slight reddish/pink tint. A few episodes have only German language-written credits, but the dialogue tracks are all available in English. The episodes on the first three discs appear complete and unedited, I haven't timed the others. I picked up the series only set, not the release with the three feature films. Hope that helps.

Flashgear likes this.
  15. Purple Wig

Purple Wig Stunt Coordinator

Alan
    I have a hard time believing most people that are buying a grey market release wouldn't rather buy an official, remastered set, so in many cases this is the only possible way for anyone to see these shows.

ChrisALM and LouA like this.
  16. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    This is 100%true. I'd love to be able to buy complete series of unedited episodes , with bonus material, and nice cover art of shows like People's Choice, Life Of Riley , December Bride, Adventures In Paradise, Rin Tin Tin , Andy's Gang , Captain Midnight , He And She , Oh Susannah, Colt 45, Johnny Ringo, American Bandstand , Rescue 8, Topper, Love On A Rooftop, Happy , Casey Jones , Gray Ghost , etc , etc..

17. timk1041

Timothy
    I just purchased a copy of "Tammy And The Millionaire" from an ebay dealer. It's a Region 1 DVD from Universal and says Limited Edition on the case. The back of the case says the DVD was released in 2011. I believe there had to also be a Limited Edition TV series of this too in Region 1 from Universal in 2011. As I mentioned earlier, there is a picture of the DVD case if you search for Tammy TV Series From Universal. A number of images will then appear. Customaniacs.org has it posted. I am hoping the person who sold me the movie on ebay can track down a copy of this or maybe someone else can. If anyone else has any information, please reply.

18. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    There is a German release . I have it - decent quality . I got it from Amazon UK years ago.

19. timk1041

Timothy
    Yes. I know. It's a Region 2 though. I would really like the Region 1. I know there has to be some copies floating around out there even though it came out in 2011 and is out of print.

20. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    I never knew there was a region 1 version. Who released it ?