What's new

TAMMY TRILOGY and PORTRAIT IN BLACK (1 Viewer)

Charles H

Screenwriter
Movies Unlimited is taking pre-orders for the TAMMY TRILOGY (TAMMY AND THE BACHELOR/TAMMY AND THE DOCTOR/TAMMY TELL ME TRUE) and a Lana Turener double feature (MADAME X/PORTRAIT IN BLACK}. Release date ls 2/5. How about an Esther Williams double feature (RAW WIND IN EDEN/THE UNGUARDED MOMENT)?

FrankXS

Second Unit
While Tammy and the Bachelor is not a classic CLASSIC, it is a guilty pleasure from my youth. Who can remember how many weeks/months Debbie Reynolds's title tune from Tammy was at the top of the music charts in 1957 ?

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
I love the first TAMMY movie (not a fan of Sandra Dee's sequels) and I am SO glad we are finally going to get it on DVD!!! :) Glorious news!!!

I remember a MoviesUnlimited Q & A last year, in which they said Universal had been working on those 2 Lana Turner films. Glad we are going to see them!

And I second that Esther Williams double feature - The UNGUARDED MOMENT is one of my favorite guilty pleasures of the 50s! I must have seen it a good 30 times.

Corey

Screenwriter
I saw the 1st Tammy film last year and really liked it. Looks like next year, Lana will be getting her due onto dvd. Hopefully WB's set coincides with the Universal's releases.

How about a Joan Fontaine double feature of Ivy and Kiss the Blood Off My Hands.

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot

That would make a terrific DVD - I'm a great fan of the latter especially.

Would also love to see Doris Day's MIDNIGHT LACE in R1!

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Glad to see I'm not the only one who loved Ms. Fontaine as the evil Ivy! The Lana double feature is a must-buy, and I am a fan of Sandra Dee, so I'll enjoy the Tammy set too!

Now if there can be a double feature for Jane Wyman: Magnificent Obsession / Lucy Gallant!

Corey

Screenwriter
I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing Midnight Lace as Doris Day's films seem to sell well.

I love when Joan Fontaine is a B-girl, so along with Ivy, hopefully WB releases Born to Be Bad.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Since Lucy Gallant is part of the Paramount library, Universal could never release it as a double feature even if they wanted to.

Still, I'm over the moon with the Tammy And the Bachelor announcement as well as the two Turner flicks.

Since Universal is yet again giving us a double bill of the original Imitaiton Of Life and the superior Sirk remake perhaps other similar double bills are in order.

Like the Irene Dunne-Robert Taylor Magnificent Obsession paired with the Jane Wyman-Rock Hudson Magnificent Obsession or the Margaret Sullavan-Charles Boyer Back Street paired with the Susan Hayward-John Gavin Back Street.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
All I can SAY IS FINALLY AND WHAT THE HECK TOOK SO LONG ???????
No where are "MAGNIFICENT OBSESSION", "MIDNIGHT LACE", and "BACK STREET" ?? Those are all MUST HAVE, wish they would do a BOX SET with those and the Esther Williams films !!!!

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
great news on both these releases.
The Tammy films have been on my want list ever since Universal started specifically marketing 'fanchise' collections. I'm not really familar with the Dee entries, but the set will be worth a purchase for Tammy and The Bachelor alone.
Now I'm left wondering how long it will take Warner to release the Tammy-esque Mating Season.

Debbie is long overdue for some appreciation and re-evaluation.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I agree, Paul. Debbie was a big star in her day and a Warners box set wouldn't be out of line. Give A Girl A Break, I Love Melvin, The Tender Trap, The Catered Affair and Susan Slept Here for starters.

Charles H

Screenwriter
Paul: you're thinking of THE MATING GAME from MGM with Debbie, Paul Douglas, and Tony Randall. But I'd love to get THE MATING SEASON (with Thelma Ritter & Gene Tierney) out on DVD. Don't know if it's Paramount or Universal?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the correction Charles- yup thats the one.

I not familiar with the Mating Season, but I'm all for having more of Gene Tiereny out there. I would love to see Fox kick out a nice Boxed set at some point.

Thomas that boxed set sounds fantastic. Sign me up for it asap!

Hopefully their will be no issues with aspect ratios in regards to these. I'm still waiting for Sony to rectify its indignities to Gidget. I saw that trio set reduced to $5 still sealed last year, and I still found it easy to pass on it (even though I would love to have an OAR Gidget just as much as TATB).

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Deep Discount has the Lana set listed for sale as well $9.99
Also, what happened to the UNIVERSAL CLASSICS Series, or are these sets part of that series, they started earlier this year ??

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I can see the inevitable: some young cretin under 20 picking up the Lana DVD and saying to himself "Hmmm... Lana Turner in Madame Ten", probably thinking this is the latest in a softcore series about a bordello owner- boy, is he in for a shock!

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Feb.5 is just around the corner - hoping to get a copy before release day and hopefully more films like these will make their way to dvd. They have been sadly lacking for the last while, in fact Universal was pretty good a couple of years ago or so with the Don Knotts ( The Love God etc. ) and the Doris Day/Rock Hudson, Sandra Dee/Bobby Darin films. The Gidget films need to be re released in Widescreen - two of the three anyway.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Gidget is Columbia (Sony), not Universal. I think it's the Sandra Dee connection that's confusing. She was Gidget Number One, and Tammy Number Two.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Purchased a copy yesterday and looking inside there are two single sided discs, the first containing Tammy And The Bachelor and the second having Tammy Tell Me True and Tammy And The Doctor on a dual layer disc. So far I can say the first two look pretty good ( 2:35 and 1:85 respectively ) and will watch the last one this weekend. Great films in being down to earth and light hearted - I'm just glad Universal released them! I can barely stomach most of the films made today, there are still good ones being made but well, I just prefer films like the Tammy series in general since I can always have my fill of action and adventure while the ones with a much more uplifting story are few and far between. I'm sure there are some real gems the studios could release and I wish they would consider it. A great buy for less than 20.00 with very good transfers. More please!

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
My mother was looking forward to this, too bad she died a few weeks ago. She always asked about it ever since I started getting DVDs. She did love seeing Gidget again but even though she supported Pan & Scan to fill the screen, she was disturbed by how poorly the cropping was handled in the later Gidget films. I never liked that cropping but that was especially bad. I hope this sells well and really studios, you need to get the older stuff out for those that enjoy it while they still can so they can share it and build new fans with their descendants.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks