1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Taming the acoustics of my room

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Neil Weinstock, Feb 17, 2002.

1. Neil Weinstock

Neil Weinstock Stunt Coordinator

My HT is in my living room, and it is at present overly "live", with significant room reverb. I know there are all sorts of potential trouble areas, like hardwood floors (partially covered by area rug), two sets of sliding glass doors, cathedral ceiling... wait, I don't know if that last one is good or bad.

Anyway, I want to clean up the acoustics of the room a little, and have done some reading, but I'm fairly confused about what approach to take. For aesthetic reasons I'm somewhat limited in what kinds of treatments I can apply, but I'm not sure how to even start. How can I experiment with things? Wool blankets here and there? Is there such thing as a reasonably-priced consultant who could give suggestions on the room? Do interior decorators typically know anything about this sort of thing?

I just want to be clear that I'm not striving for some type of ideal acoustical environment, just taming the echo, which will benefit both HT and normal conversation.

Any suggestions appreciated...

2. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

You might try visiting this site and read through the demo room acoustic examples. They give hints and ideas about what to look for and what to expect.
    acoustics
    You can also download and try the software for free if you have a RS SPL meter and a PC.