Tall stands for Paradigm Studio 20's?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Gere, Feb 8, 2003.

1. Paul Gere

Paul Gere Second Unit

Hi!
    I'm looking for a pair of 20's to be used as rear surrounds in a 7.1 setup (ADP's on side walls, 100's and Studio CC in front). Because of room layout, I must put the Studio 20's on stands...tall ones.

I'm having trouble finding tall speaker stands (36-38") that will hold the footprint of a Studio 20 (8 1/4"w x 11 3/8" deep, 28#). Most of the taller stands I've found are designed for smaller speakers. I'm looking for good but affordable stands that ideally are of black metal construction.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    -Paul

2. Dave Ma

Dave Ma Stunt Coordinator

You cant mount the 20's on brackets on a back wall?

3. Paul Gere

Paul Gere Second Unit

Dave,
    Thanks for the question.
    I don't want to mount on back wall because...

1. I want to keep my placement options open
    2. The 20's are rear ported and sound terrible when up against a solid surface. I know this because I've owned them before (as mains).

4. Guyza

Guyza Stunt Coordinator

Paul,

Go here:

SPEAKER STAND SELECTION

There's a ton of different stands and a few that might fit your requirements.

The 300-AH model looks pretty sweet.

Good luck!
    Guy

5. Paul Gere

Paul Gere Second Unit

6. Paul Gere

Paul Gere Second Unit

Tony,
    Thanks for the lead! Those are great looking stands - and incredible prices! Unfortunately, they're not tall enough for what I need (36" to 40" range). Very nice, though - I especially liked the BT-600's. They would look killer along side a similarly designed/built Salamander Synergy rack.

7. Tyler DJW

Tyler DJW Stunt Coordinator

I have the ADP370s and had the same issue. I know that a few people (including myself) are using the ATACAMA NEXUS stands. They're 40" and can support the ADP 370s fine, and should work well for the 20s. They are $175 at Audio Adviser.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...sku=ATANEXUS10

8. Brad Wood

Brad Wood Stunt Coordinator

Paul,
    Before you make a purchase, I just wanted to let you know that I promise I'll e-mail you pics of my 42" stands wednesday evening. They will have no problem holding your Paradigms. Drop me a line if you'd like. Thanks!

9. Paul Gere

Paul Gere Second Unit

Tyler,
    Thanks for your post...
    I like, I like!

-Paul

10. Tyler DJW

Tyler DJW Stunt Coordinator

Paul, I'm glad you like them. The only thing that I dislike is that there is no cable management. I got over it pretty quick, but I thought I'd make sure you knew if you decide to go with them. They can be filled with sand/shot though.

...edit...

I just checked out your home theater link and WOW... what an amazing setup! You've got a fantastic theater. It makes my 27" TV look pretty sad![​IMG]

11. Paul Gere

Paul Gere Second Unit

Tyler,
    Thanks for the kind words! We really love that room. BTW, I'll be updating my site in a few weeks after new black leather cinema seating arrives.

Thanks also for the head's up on cable management. That's not really a show-stopper for me if the stands meet functional requirements (and those do quite nicely - little more than I wanted to spend, but not entirely out of range). Since you have seen my room, the plan would be to have stands at the rear of the side walls just in front of the cabinets. Alternate plan would be to have them on either side of the entry opening.

Thanks again for the posts!

Cheers,
    -Paul

12. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

Paul, what stands did ya end up with? I'm looking for the same thing[​IMG]

13. Paul Gere

Paul Gere Second Unit

Tommy,
    I ended up buying the used 42" all steel stands mentioned earlier in this post. After comparing all available options, they were far & away the best for both performance and value. 12" x 10" base and a huge 8" x 8" top plate do an awesome job of holding up my Studio 20's. Pillars are fillable, but I don't feel compelled to fill them now. Stands are extremely well built and VERY heavy.

Brand of stands is Apollo. From some quick web research, Apollo is a UK brand, not sure of US availability. I found a web site for Apollo, but didn't find a match to the stands I bought (probably an older model). Here's the site:

http://www.apollohifi.co.uk/default.htm

Happy hunting!
    -Paul

14. CharlesX

CharlesX Auditioning

Paul,

Why do you need stands that are so high? I'll be buying a pair of 20s soon and I'm just starting to look at stands. I was under the impression that the optimum height for speakers is where the tweeter is aligned at ear level. I measured the height to my ears in my normal seating position, which is 40 inches. The height of the Studio Reference 20 is 14 ½ inches. Assuming the top of the tweeter is three and a half inches below the top of the 20

40 – (14.5 – 3.5) = 29

So I was looking for speaker stands that were 28 to 30 inches tall.

15. Paul Gere

Paul Gere Second Unit

Charles,
    In my case you need to add 10" to your assumptions and math above, as I've got my second row of seating on a 10" riser. Therefore, I need to get the tweeters up to and over that row. If your seating is on the same level, you should be fine with your assumptions.

My 41" stands are now in place and doing the job quite well.

-Paul