Tall HDTV stand?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by jason bergman, Oct 31, 2004.

1. jason bergman

jason bergman Auditioning

Oct 31, 2004

I'm a total newbie here, so I apologize if this has been answered long ago...

I'm going to be moving in a few months, and I'm either going to buy a new HDTV or moving my existing (non-HD) 27" Wega with me. That rack's worked out pretty well, but it's kinda ugly, and looks like it belongs in a kitchen than a home theater setup.

Anyway, I'm currently using a restaurant-supply rack to hold my television, as it's really very heavy, and I like to have a nice high viewing angle (I'm tall, have a reasonably tall table).

I can't afford a wall-mountable HDTV, so I'm looking at the Sony 34XBR960, which is even heavier than my current television, and I'd like to find a stand that's pretty tall, can hold at least three (ideally four or more) components, and can hold that much weight (~200 pounds).

Does anyone know where I should look for something like this?

Oh, and because of the apartment, wall units aren't practical. I really need a stand for this to work.

Thanks in advance,
  2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Mar 8, 2000

200lbs is a pretty hefty TV. But, the weight is pretty evenly distributed so, I would think most quality pieces of furniture would be able to do the job. I'm talking plywood at the very least here... something preferably with a shelf divider/support in the center. Stay away from particle-board.

Since screen height is an issue, and you'd ultimately like to mount the thing on the wall.. have you considered a front projection system? You're right in the ballpark for a projector, price-wise. Then you could mount a big-assed screen as high as you want and ditch the kitchen rack all together.