What's new

Tall Flexy Rack (1 Viewer)

Mike Ki

Agent
I'm looking to build a flexy rack about 7 feet tall and was wondering if anyone has built one this high. It will be approx. 20" x 25" with 8 or 9 shelves. Any pictures or advice on building a rack this tall. Reasons I shouldn't?
Thanks Mike

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Only major problem I see is stability and this might be fixed if it's secured to the wall or ceiling (since you stated 7'). The other problem may be the threaded rods as I've seen rods go up to 6' but not 7' at the local hardware stores so it may need to be special ordered.

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
We recently made one for my parents that was about 6 feet tall. I'll get some pics up soon. They had to go tall since they didn't want a double-wide one like I have. It is a little less stable than mine but not too bad. Adding a TV as low as possible on the rack helps out too.

Mike Ki

Agent
Justin, some pics would be great. The reason it's seven feet high and 2 feet wide is that it will be in a closet that has an opening, window in the side, from three feet to seven feet. So all the components will start at three feet and go up till seven. I hope it can handle all the weight.

Dennis Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
Make it a 6 foot tall rack on a 12 inch tall lumber foundation.

Depending on your location, I've got 8 3/4 inch 6 ft. threaded rods with nuts and washers for almost exactly what you are planning. I went front projection instead of flexy unit. I live in Okla. and would let them go cheap. I've got about $200 in the metal.

Mike Ki

Agent
Dennis, sounds like a good idea, I think I'll go with the lumber foundation. I'm in Ontario, Canada so i think shipping would be quite expensive.

Justin, that'd be great if you could get a pic.
Thanks Mike

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
Here it is:
You might have to turn your head sideways though, I don't have any graphics software on this PC and Photobucket rotate wouldn't work.

Mike Ki

Agent
Justin, thanks for the pic, that looks real nice. I see that it is wider than mine will be and has the tv for weight at the bottom, hopefully I won't have a problem with stability.
Thanks again
Mike

TimBr

Auditioning
You can always buy threaded couplers to connect two shorter pieces together. I used them to connect carriage bolts to threaded rod on another project.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks