What's new

Talking Heads Box Set-DualDiscs? (1 Viewer)

Flasshe

Agent
Real Name
Rog

I'm not sure I agree with that, though I don't have any numbers to back it up. You're right that it's a tiny niche, but it seems to me to be more prevalent than DVD-A or SACD ever was. Whether that means it has actually caught on with consumers in any way, I admit I don't know.

Steve Meskell

Second Unit
I was lucky to catch a tip about a special that Wherehouse.com was having. Got Brick for $90 shipped. Too bad the charged sales tax:frowning: . I'm sorry that some have problems with DD, so far so good for my players....
Outstanding surround mix on every album :emoji_thumbsup:

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I picked this set up last night. What a great box! They did a great job remastering these albums for 5.1. My only gripe with the box is that there's nothing printed on the back side of the jewel case (what album was that song on?).

As for DualDisc, despite the fact that other people have had problems with it, I have not. /shrug. I'm glad that this set was released SOMEHOW in hi-res. If we sit around waiting for some hi-res format to finally become popular, we'll never get anywhere.

Mike

Manus

Second Unit
" single disc releases are mixed right in with the regular Redbook CDs at most stores. "

....Just like Sacds .... ? I love this set , brilliantly mixed and as comprehensive as anyone could reasonably expected. Lets face it, of all the Hi-Rez multichannel out there , little if any of it is this well put together.

M

AricB

Second Unit
I didn't see any single discs of the talking heads dual discs when i was there and saw the boxset, but doesnt mean they are not out there?

I've been real happy with the discs i've had time to listen to thus far. good music, good sound.

Steve Meskell

Second Unit
Jan 10th, 2006
Talking Heads - Talking Heads '77 (Rhino)
Talking Heads - More Songs About Buildings And Food (Rhino)
Talking Heads - Fear Of Music (Rhino)
Talking Heads - Remain In Light (Rhino)

Jan 31st, 2006
Talking Heads - Speaking In Tongues (Rhino)
Talking Heads - Little Creatures (Rhino)
Talking Heads - True Stories (Rhino)
Talking Heads - Naked (Rhino)

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
Unfortunately, the set will not play -- at least, the high resolution side -- on Pioneer DVD-A players. I just got off the phone with a very helpful guy, Mac, from Rhino who assured me that my experience is typical. That's a shame: I really looked forward to this set but I'm not buying a new player to listen to them, although, truth be told, I'm tempted.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Just got the Brick (finally) yesterday. Simply an awesome set. Luckily, my JVC DVD-A player has no problem with these discs.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

You may be referring to the Pioneer 563A, whose firmware is not compatible with ANY DVD-A titles produced after 2004? If not, wow, strike two for Pioneer.

See this thread:

threadid=195422

Stu Rosen

Second Unit
About 18 months ago I sent in my Pioneer 563A for the firmware update (after the unit rejected a couple of DVD-As out at the time). And it works just fine on the recently released (post-2004) Talking Heads DVD-As.

Chris-V

Stunt Coordinator
For those who were turned off by the fact that the remasters released stateside were DD's, I believe the releases in the UK are proper 2-disc CD/DVD packs. They should be available from Amazon.co.uk or any other UK retailer that will ship to the US.

As has already been mentioned in the thread, the remasters are fantastic, and a must-have for anyone still listening to the originals. The surround mixes are particularly well done. Good use of surround channels without too much distracting gimmickery.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
I have picked up a few of the DualDiscs and really wish they had offered a 3 or 4 disc compilation since I am not a big fan of the group. The DualDiscs or DVD-A/CD sets are very well remastered and surround mixes exceptional. Too many songs are throwaways for me but I like them pretty well otherwise. "Remain in Light" is my favorite.

Chris

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

The CD side plays in my Toyota Prius, but my Arcam DV78 will only play the DVD side.
So, am I missing anything?

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

No, you want to listen to the DVD side at home. I would copy the CD side to a CD-R to carry in the car. I carried around hybrid SACD's in the car for sometime before somebody pointed out how risky that is. I have copied a number of DualDisc CD sides to CD-R as well, but never carried those in the car anyway. The CD side of the DualDiscs I have tried don't play in my home players reliably either and I have inexpensive players only. The fault is not likely with your Arcam which is surely a very fine redbook CD player.

Chris

Chris-V

Stunt Coordinator
I can now confirm that the UK releases are 2-disc sets, a-la Seal, R.E.M., D.M., etc...

Mark_TB

Second Unit
I've been enjoying this set since it was released, but I ran into a problem the other day.

I was listening to the stereo DVD-A tracks of TRUE STORIES for the first time (I normally listen to the surround mix) when I noticed a brief breaking-up of the sound a few seconds into "Wild Wild Life."

Has anyone else encountered this problem or is it just my disc (and if it is, I'm not sure what I can do about it at this point)? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Mark

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

I have never played the stereo track, but I will next opportunity so if nobody beats me to a response, I wll offer mine soon.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks