Talking Heads: An Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee Scoggins, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Friends,
    Today I flipped over to VH-1 and saw (!) the Talking Heads band reunited [​IMG] playing "Burning Down The House" and "Life During Wartime".
    Wow, this really brings back some memories..[​IMG]
    How many of you appreciated this signature 80s band?
    David Byrne, Chris Frantz, Tina Weymouth, Jerry Harrison, Bernie Worrell and the rest of the funk gang.
    The dancing backup singers (I think one was Lynn Mabry..)
    The cool set designs,
    The total incoherent yet coherent lyrics,
    The wild drum rhythms
    David Byrne running around like he was in some musical aerobics class
    I found them to be creative, very good musicians and one of my first big concerts was watching them play from the 4th row on their Stop Making Sense tour. The one that Jonathan Demme made of movie out of where the stage gradually gets built.
    Now, the band was clearly looking older and not playing particularly tight and the engineering sounded horrible. But hey! would a reunion tour be cool or what?
    How many of you have fond memories of one of the top new wave bands?
    Lee

2. James RD

James RD Supporting Actor

I certainly do. First saw them in 1978 at the Roxy (I believe) on Sunset in L.A. We had a table right next to the stage. This was their "More Songs About Buildings and Food" tour. That album was getting them a lot of attention. The next day they gave a free outdoor concert at UCLA, which was really great.

I think I saw them four or five times after that. Still one of my alltime favorite bands.

3. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

great band, great records, probably the best concert movie ever put to film

your Q: would a reunion tour be cool or what?

after seeing them being inducted into the R&R HOF(congrats, well deserved recognition, though being in the hof does not a good band make)

my A: no thanks, some things are better left in the past

4. Michael St. Clair

I wouldn't judge them based on this performance. Give them a few weeks of rehearsal and you'd probably hear a different band.

Separately (Tom Tom Club, 'The Heads', David Byrne solo), these guys show that they are still tight.

5. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Supporting Actor

Mikael Söderholm
    Well, I never got to see them live, although I've seen David Byrne a few times (and of course I have the Stop Making Sense DVD), but I am still not sure a reunion tour would be a good idea. Can anyone remember a reunion tour that has been good?

But they were a great band, especially the Fear Of Music - Remain In Light - Speaking In Tongues period.

NP: A-ha: Headlines and deadlines

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

7. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I think Michael is right. Given rehearsal time and they could return to form.
    I saw the Eagles on the Hell Freezes Over DVD and they were great reunited! [​IMG]
    Lee

8. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

The two most successful, for me at least, reunions of the past few years were:

Steely Dan- Hugely successful album and sounded great on the tour.

Iron Maiden- re-configuring the classic lineup, putting out their best album in over a decade, and kicking serious ass on the tour.

Re: Talking Heads- I like some of their stuff, not all of it. Except for Remain In Light, I haven't heard any albums of theirs that are strong from beginning to end. I may pick up a couple, but it's a shame there isn't a really good compilation out there.

NP: Dreamtheater, 6 Degrees of Inner Turbulence, CD

9. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

A reunion tour would be extremely doubtful. When SMS was re-released, the press conference was an indication that David really didn't want to have anything to do with Tina, Chris and Jerry. There's still bitterness there.

I Think the HOF set was an obligatory performance - do it, and let's go home.

SMS shows the band at their cohesive best, musically and personally.

10. Bob Turnbull

Bob Turnbull Supporting Actor

11. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Bob, if Sand in the Vaseline is the 2-disc set, I don't like it. The second disc contains tracks which almost all came after Speaking in Tongues, there are pre-album tracks

(of interest to serious fans, but not to the casual listener), and a live version of Life During Wartime, which is inferior to the studio version, IMO.

The thing is, compilation albums are rarely done well. I don't understand the purpose of putting rarities on greatest hits CDs, for example. Which audience are they targeting? It boggles the mind.

NP: Fates Warning, Night On Brocken, CD

12. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

13. Bob Turnbull

Bob Turnbull Supporting Actor

14. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Bob,

Though I really don't like the post-Speaking in Tongues Heads (with the exception of Stop Making Sense), I agree there are a few (very few) gems there. My favorite song from that declining era is "Give Me Back My Name". To me that song sounds like it could be right off "More Songs About Buildings And Food".

15. Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard Supporting Actor

It's really simple. Record companies will do anything and everything to squeeze more money out of the consumer, and they are well aware that there are diehard fans who will buy a CD full of previously-released tunes if said CD also contains just one outtake or newly recorded tune.
    And count me in for "no reunion tour." The band members seem to be doing fine on their own, and a tour now would just smack of both a financial need and some desire to stay in public eye.
    Much like The Who's many "Farewell-and-we'll-return-a-year-later" tours.
    NP - Brian Eno, "Needle In the Camel's Eye"