Talk to me about the poly fil upgrade...

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Kevin G., Jan 30, 2004.

1. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

Did the poly fil trick to my htib cheapie last night. Not sure if I did anything... actuallly seemed quieter, is this possible?
    Put in the HULK and LOTR TTT, to test.
    LOTR sounded great at low volumes (but then it always did), HULK didn't seem to have as much bang, and I had the volume up higher(I think) than I usually do.
    Also let the kids watch Ice Age, and the glacier scene at the beginning didn't seem to ave as much punch.

Could I have put too much in?? I didn't pack it in, but lined all sides.
    The power amp, crossover and circuit board are on the inside of the back panel, am I risking too much heat on these components by lining the interior w/ poly?

Thanks

2. Robert*S

Robert*S Stunt Coordinator

I have a polyfill modded Sony SA-WM40 sub. Make sure that you leave the port open and keep the polyfill away from anything that could get hot in there.
    When I first added the polyfill there was an immediate difference. It seem to have less boom and it was quieter as well. Just recalibrate and give it a day or so to get used to the new sound. If you are not happy with the sound adjust the amount of polyfill and try again.
    Hope this helps.

rob.

For anyone who is checking this thread, my polyfill modded sony is for sale. See the hardware area for more details.

3. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

So it did quiet it down... I thought so. I boosted the output to the sub and cranked the volume knob up a bit as well, problem is I already had everything quite loud as it was.
    Dump the fil along the back wall of the box though?
    BTW, I did leave the port open to the back of the magnet

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Blocking the port will make almost no differene unless you overstuff. It doesn't sound like you did Kevin. Long term, it sounds like you need a better sub. Stuffing makes the driver "think" it is in a larger enclosure, though at the expense of a little bit of output, as well as making it sound a little softer (especially if there was no stuffing in there to begin with).

5. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

Yeah, there wasn't anything in there at all.
    That's the way I understood it to work, but I thought I was gonna get a tighter sound and better response.
    I'm REALLY lookin' at that Dayton 10 in at PE. (The reviews on that are pretty impressive) It should blow my 8 in cheappie outta the water.

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

Unfortunately, this varies from sub to sub, and some designs may not respond well to stuffing.

7. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

Hey everyone,
    Last night I put my sub back in the corner behind my entertainment unit,(where it usually goes) and it was much better, must've just had a poor area when I was testing out everything.
    Still have to convince the wife for the Dayton 10 in.