What's new

Talk about giving your sub a workout !! (1 Viewer)

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Jeremy, don't forget if a simple RS meter shows say 115dB and the bass is mainly in the 20-50hz range...figure on adding another 3-4dB to get an accurate idea of the true bass levels.

TV

TomH

Second Unit
Just killed my old Velodyne ULD-15. It has been doing fine until LotR. It started rattling and the sound pressure split the aging rubber surround in several places.

For under $1500.00 what can compete with SVS?

Has anyone upgraded from one of these old Velodynes?

Tom

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Today I demoed LOTR for my friends at 1 click above! reference level.

During the ogre scene with the goblin drums it was very intense, also was the wraith peaking over, and just about all the scenes where they show the ring.

After a while we got used to the volume and it was regular for our ears. Then we popped in another DVD and it was as if the volume dropped immensely. Most of my other DVDs at reference level seemed like they lack volume after FOTR.

Tomorrow I'll use the SPL meter and see what kind of levels I was hit... Seriously, the walls resonated and I could feel pressure level changes in the room. I've never heard bass like that and it made my friends laugh.

My amps were cooking.. My rotel 100wpc amp was almost maxed and I needed a fan running in the room because of how hot it got in there.

Phil Mays

Second Unit
My oh My:D
I usually have the volume turned to 55 (out of 100) for my reference level. All Klipsch Ledgend and Reference speakers with two amps dispersing 1,200 watts to all speakers.
We (wife and I) started at 55 then almost instantly turned it down to 50, then to 47, to 45, and ended up at 42 before I turned it off and went to bed 1 hour and a 1/2 into the movie. We were just too tired after a hard week at work to completely enjoy the movie. We will attempt this again today.
I will have to say that typically there is not alot of love for Klipsch subs out there, but my KSW-15 never bottomed and absolutely "rocked" the house.
The only part of the movie that actually bothered me were the screams, they got on my nerves in a big way.
Love the movie. :D
I will soon be getting the B & W Nautilus line and thats all I could think about was how is this going to sound:D

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
Jeremy, don't forget if a simple RS meter shows say 115dB and the bass is mainly in the 20-50hz range...figure on adding another 3-4dB to get an accurate idea of the true bass levels.
You know, Tom, I didn't even think about that. Ye gods, ~118dB! I'm glad I got that 20-39CS+! I may have to add another one just for the sake of feng shui though, because a matching pair sure would balance the room. :D
I have friends from New York and New Jersey coming to town whose only experience with home theater is Bose and a Kenwood HTIB. Can't wait to pop in LOTR at reference and watch some jaws drop to the floor.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
When I saw this thread the first thing I thought of was the DVD movie I watched last night. L O T Rings. Every thing about it was done so well. I did notice it seemed to be more compressed like DTS to.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Well I just watched the opening battle and the bridge of kazakdun scenes again at 10dB below reference (all speakers at 75dB on Avia tones and the sub would fluctuate between 72dB and 78dB when I was calibrating it). With my meter set on the 100-120dB range instead of the 90-110dB range like I had before. It's rather comfortable to listen to with kleenex in your ears too :p)
I figured out how to get my digital ratshack spl meter to keep track of the loudest sound it recorded during each scene.
Opening scene it registered a max of 115dB (this is the number the meter read, so Tom's comment applies).
kasakdun bridge scene it registered a max of 117dB and again Tom's comment applies.
However, if the loudest sound in each scene was centered right around 40hz, then I was getting a little bit of help from a room mode :frowning:
I think the sub could handle more volume, but I'm sure my poor Onkyo 575 is at its limits driving my JBL Studio speakers at this level. If I had a better amp I might try 5dB under reference and it would probably be easier to sit through (without kleenex in your ears) at 10dB under reference as well. Don't think my Tempest could handle full reference though.

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
I have a bunch of friends coming over tonight to watch LOTR and I can't wait. I hope my SVS CSi 20-39 keeps up. The wife and kids will be gone so the volume will be very high, my Divas (6.1, C3, 2.1, 2.1) will also be getting a work out tonight.

JoelM

Stunt Coordinator
Juan,

Sounds like your going to have a great time. A few days ago I invited all my work buddies over for a film fest that use to take place at a mediocre setup and they were wowed by the results. I'm glad to know that now I am the so called "movie place". To bad this event happens once or twice a year, but now maybe it will occur more often. I have the Swan diva 6.1 package along with 2 extra r3's for the back. My 2 SVS 25-31CS+'s keep up with this movie fantastic. To bad my significant other doesn't like it close to reference.

DanielSmi

Second Unit
I think it had to much bass like in the beginning when the ring drops on bilbo's floor there's a big bass hit I've never heard I big bass hit when you drop a ring. There's many other such oddly placed bass hits throughout the movie good movie though good surround sound.. Great thing is I got my new Velodyne HGS-10 Kliipsch RF-5's about 8 hrs before I watched it. I found like 10 new rattles in my room with my new sub it awesome. I think the overall moview was very loud I had to listen at like -25 instead of like -10 or -5 and I still had to yell over the movie to say anything.

Daniel Smith

JohnDG

Stunt Coordinator
BTW: has anybody ever measured the bass from Chapter 5 (Leviathan) of Atlantis: TLE?

jdg

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Ever since I picked up LOTR I cant stop watching it. I love the bass that they put into this one, every time something hits I cant stop smiling.
Now I cant wate to get my newest sono done which will be tuned much lower than my current one.

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
We watched this last night, and although the overall volume level was several db louder than most discs, I didn't think bass was disproportionate or overcooked. Yes, there's quite a bit of bass in the movie, but I don't think it drowned out the rest of the sound or anything. I think a lot of it comes down to how you have your sub set up. If you normally have your sub set to be a few db hot, or if you have some room-induced peaks, I could see how the bass in this movie could get out of control. I've got my 20-39PCi level-matched to the other channels and EQ'd with a BFD for relatively flat in-room response.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Thsi also makes me want to finish my latest project too. I can't wait to see how it performs.

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
This movie will be my new demo disk. The battle scene when they are trapped in the mines was awsome. Everybody in my house just could not believe it. There were times when the bass would shake everything but you could not hear it, it would also hit you hard, everytime this would happen, everybody would just look at each other in awe. My CSi 20-39 and my Divas did there job very well.

I LOVE THIS HOBBIE.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
I guess I will be in the minority, but I started finding the exaggerated bass when things fall, hit walls, collide, etc to be horribly overdone and cliche'. I swear if a Hobbit were to break wind there'd be a tidal wave of bass added to accompany it.

My biggest "eye roll" moments were the bass hits when Frodo fell on his back in the Prancing Pony and when Sauron's severed finger hit the ground during the opening sequence.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I put on LOTR last night using my SVS 25-31CS and a Velodyne CT-12 last night. Great powerful bass!
My wife who was outside visiting the neighbor said she could hear the bass down the street (my windows were closed).
And I didn't have it at reference.
I use a DENON 3300 and ref for me is -12.
Most movies are listened to at -18/21.
LOTR's only felt comfortable at -28!
This dvd is certainly pumped up real good.
JohnG:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks