Talk about a lousy weekend!!! (Irony, casting Sea biscuit, and whatnot).

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dome Vongvises, Sep 11, 2002.

1. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

A long time ago, in Lexington, Kentucky.....

From Friday Sept. 6th to Sat. Sept. 7th, Dreamworks pictures held an extras open casting call for the film tentatively titled Sea Biscuit at the Mariott in Lexington, KY. Knowing that A. It's an open casting call, B. I'm on my year off (read, plenty of free time) and C. I'm out of work, my brother and one of my friends decided to to go to it.

Because my 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee is a piece of s**t (the A/C redirects itself during acceleration, and the engine could fail at any time), I decided to take the ML320 for the trip from Pikeville to Lexington. After we were finished with the casting call on Sat., we did a few things here and there, and were prepared to leave Lexington, when my car died. We were unable to restart it and got a friend to restart it with jumper cables. We took the car to an Advanced Auto Parts, and they said the battery was fine. Thinking nothing else, I decided to drive away. As luck would have it, car dies again. So we called roadside assistance, and they got our car towed to a local dealership. Because they weren't open on the weekends, I had to be stranded in Lexington until Monday!!!

Come Monday, the technicians finally got to work. Due to the laws of the universe that must obey Murphy, they were unable to reproduce the problem, even though one of their service reps took the car for a spin to lunch and was unable to start it for a while. So, I drove the car from the dealership only to have it die on me again. I waited about forty minutes, restarted it, drove it, the car died again, and restarted it forty minutes later and made it back to the dealership.

Tuesday, they found a "problem" which they attributed to a faulty fuel pump. They "fixed" it, and I drove away about 5:00 in the afternoon, thinking I was finally going to go home. Nope, the automotive gods decided to make my engine stop, almost in the exact same spot it failed Monday!!! The dealership arranged for a tow.

Wednesday, they still can't find anything wrong with it. Basically, my dad had to drive up to Lexington and come and pick us up. This has been quite possibly the crappiest four to five days I've had. My medschool applications aren't finished, I've been away from HTF for too long, and my car still isn't fixed. Is this karmal retribution? Did some gremlins get to my vehicle? Or did it get sabotaged by a bunch of ninjas?

Addition after edit: The irony here is that I took a vehicle, which was the most reliable and ultimately failed on me, instead of my rundown 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee, which has been known to have engine failure!!!

Oh well, did anybody else go to the Sea Biscuit auditions?

2. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

I'm glad to see this is a Dreamworks production. I've read the book and it has great potential for a movie.

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    I had the exact same problem with a new 95 Intrepid. It was the "mass airflow sensor" or something like that. I'm not sure if it was ever fixed or not since I invoked the lemon law on the third trip to the dealership.

-Robert

4. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

The casting director, his name escapes me, also did casting for Steel Magnolias and A Beautiful Mind. I'll check up on it later. I'm surprised nobody went to auditions.