What's new

tales of wells fargo coming to encore in January (1 Viewer)

howard1908

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
howard hughes
I was looking through my director guide this morning and found that encore western is showing tales of wells fargo starting January 2nd. I don't know how many episodes they plan on showing or for how long , but I knowing encores track record with Laramie , Wyatt warp and death valley days, we are sure to see some material not previously released on DVD.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Just a heads up for those interested in this show. Encore is coming to the end of season 2 and will start airing the non-DVD released seasons shortly.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
If that's the case then hopefully DVD's of those seasons are coming soon. It was previously reported that Timeless couldn't continue because there were no available elements at the time. Now that we know there are usable masters I hope they finish the series. Encore Westerns is only available in the most expensive package for Dish and Directv so I had to drop it a couple years ago and there's no way I'm paying over a $100 for a TV package anymore. So DVD's are not only the preferred option but the only option for many of us.

hypnohighball

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Sayers
Just a heads up for those interested in this show. Encore is coming to the end of season 2 and will start airing the non-DVD released seasons shortly.

That's weird - I just checked the schedule and tonight the 2 episodes airing are season 2 #33 and #34. Did they skip a bunch of season 2 or what the heck?

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
I don't think they've skipped any S2 episodes. They've been airing S2 episodes for quite some time--it takes a while to get through 38 episodes.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Yes it could be released but better to record them just in case. With discs costing so little, why not. Its not like the days of it costing $30-$40 for an hour of tape, is it.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
The other day they ran Season 3 #6: "Butch Cassidy." I didn't look it up beforehand, so I was unsure who was in the cast. In the opening scene, Butch is released from prison and it's none other than Charles Bronson! Then he gets on a train to head somewhere and who gets on to rob the train, but James Coburn! He's an old outlaw buddy of Butch's, so they have a scene together, marking the first teamup of Bronson and Coburn, two years before THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN, five years before THE GREAT ESCAPE and 17 years before HARD TIMES!

Add to this the fact that Robert Vaughn played Billy the Kid in a Season Two episode and Steve McQueen played Bill Longley in another Season Two episode and you've got four of the Magnificent Seven playing outlaws in one show before their famous team-up.

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
Michael Landon and Chuck Connors are two other good guest-stars on early Tales of Wells Fargo episodes.

I've noticed that the same 1957 copyright appears on virtually all episodes up to at least the first season-three episode. Have the owners of the show pulled a Sony-Bewitched-Jeannie maneuver and put the same opening on all the episodes? I think there was a season-one episode that inexplicably had a 1958 copyright, but otherwise they've all been 1957.

That leads to this: who owns this show? The end credits close with an MCA/Revue logo, but there's no Universal fanfare at the end. Does original copyright holder Overland Productions still exist and still own the show?

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
It looks like Encore is not airing the one-hour color episodes from season six. According to my DirecTV onscreen guide, they're showing a third-season episode Thursday whose title doesn't appear in the guide at epguides.com then following that with the premiere episode from season one. Season five episodes end today.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Season six is kind of a different show, similar to Men From Shiloh and The Virginian. The character is written and behaves completely different and the show is almost like a new show. So, just like they didn't run Men From Shiloh, I'm not surprised they aren't running Wells Fargo (6th season title).

howard1908

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
howard hughes
i think the exclusion of the sixth season frm the schedule has more to do with the absence of color prints for several episodes than t has to do with a change in format.

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
A correction--season five episodes end today (Thursday), and the mystery episode and the premiere episode are Friday.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
i think the exclusion of the sixth season frm the schedule has more to do with the absence of color prints for several episodes than t has to do with a change in format.

I'm sure that since Encore paid for Universal to go back and remaster the series from the 35mm negatives, a full run of color episodes could have been run off as well. Don't confuse what 16mm prints were lying around that could be cheaply transferred with what exists in the vault.

howard1908

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
howard hughes
what i am saying is that there nmight be a conplete set of color 35mm prints, or else why wouldnt encore just throw the remain 26 or so episodes in with the rest of the series.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
what i am saying is that there nmight be a conplete set of color 35mm prints, or else why wouldnt encore just throw the remain 26 or so episodes in with the rest of the series.

I don't know. Why didn't they buy Men From Shiloh along with the 8 seasons of The Virginian? Maybe in both cases the shows are treated as 2 separate entities and would have to be negotiated as such and Encore didn't think either was worth the extra bother.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks