What's new

Tales of the Gold Monkey in the works ? (1 Viewer)

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Jeff Willis

....Region 1 vs R2: Anyone's guess on why we're not hearing about an R1 release. The clearance/rights issues vary with different regions. Examples are the 70's Bionic shows that have been partially released in R2/4 but nothing in R1...
I'm wondering if the R1 issues have to do with the period-music featured in the show?

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
TSoD has a new post about a tweet from as yet unconfirmed Stephen Collins about his upcoming commentary work for a "..Gold Monkey" DVD release. Dave Lambert's TSoD post is here . As Dave mentioned, this possible news may be referring to the upcoming UK R2 release and not about any R1 release.

DVDiva

Grip
Real Name
Pat
Here are some more Tales of the Tales of the Gold Monkey DVDs.

Interviews were conducted last week with Stephen Collins, director Harvey Laidman and writer/producer Tom Greene in the Fabulous Films LA offices. They had hoped to film on the Monkey Bar exterior set that still stands on Universal's backlot, but the condition was unsafe. They did take some footage and stills to include in the documentary. Caitlin O'Heaney is scheduled to be interviewed next week in New York.

As you know, the UK release is scheduled for Oct. 26. They're looking at the end of November for Australia, with a price of AU$99.

I just e-mailed Richard Walker from Fabulous Films yesterday about some clearance issues he mentioned elsewhere (He stated that he doubted that the show would ever have a US release). He replied "I am trying to secure the US rights though it has major music clearance issues. UK law and US law differs somewhat!" Ah, the dreaded music clearances!!!

He also gave me a bit of good news. Tom Greene gave him 5 audio commentaries that he recorded years ago which will also be included in the set. I know that because of the unfavorable exchange rate, the set is a bit pricey, but, with all the extras and the fact that a Region 1 release is looking doubtful, it should be well worth the cost.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Pat,

Thanks for the info!

We are glad that there are differences between clearance rights in R1 and overseas so at least we can buy a studio release over there. Sounds like I'll get the set in either R2 or R4 depending on the exchange rate down the road.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Originally Posted by Jeff Willis

Pat,

Thanks for the info!

We are glad that there are differences between clearance rights in R1 and overseas so at least we can buy a studio release over there. Sounds like I'll get the set in either R2 or R4 depending on the exchange rate down the road.
I'm with you, Jeff. It will just be a matter of waiting a bit for Amazon.com.UK or an Australian company discounting the price decently. The UK Amazon site usually is pretty good about lowering prices after a product has been out for a while. I'll have to decide on a price I'm willing to top out at and then just wait.

Gary "haven't seen this show at all since it premiered when I was still in high school" O.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Pat, are you the Pat that was involved in the Monkey Reunion a few years back? If so, a great extra for the DVD release would be your video taped discussion of "Monkey" with , Stephen Collins, Caitlin O'Heaney, and Jeff MacKay, etc. from that event.

TALES OF THE GOLD MONKEY is now up for preorder for around $76.07 shipped from Amazon UK.

DVDiva

Grip
Real Name
Pat
Bob, yes, I am the "Monkey Woman". The DVD set can't include the video tape of the Gold Monkey Gathering we held in 1997 because I didn't shoot the video (to be honest, I don't remember who did) and because the quality isn't the greatest. But Richard Walker from Fabulous Films has seen the video and has interviewed most of the participants for the new DVD set. Alas, it won't be the same without Jeff, but I'm sure it will still be great.

And not to jump the gun, but I'm working with Fabulous Films to let my site offer the Region 2 set for US$50, which includes shipping. Nothing's been finalized yet, but fingers crossed. :)

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
What are the issues for domestic release? I haven't seen the show since I was a kid so I don't remember what music was in it.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Just speculating here (because I haven't seen the show since it first aired either), but I suspect some classic big band numbers on the soundtrack may be the problem.

At least that sounds reasonable.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
Originally Posted by DVDiva

Bob, yes, I am the "Monkey Woman". The DVD set can't include the video tape of the Gold Monkey Gathering we held in 1997 because I didn't shoot the video (to be honest, I don't remember who did) and because the quality isn't the greatest. But Richard Walker from Fabulous Films has seen the video and has interviewed most of the participants for the new DVD set. Alas, it won't be the same without Jeff, but I'm sure it will still be great.

And not to jump the gun, but I'm working with Fabulous Films to let my site offer the Region 2 set for US$50, which includes shipping. Nothing's been finalized yet, but fingers crossed. :)
Now that would be a great price. Let us know the outcome. I would definitely consider that price. what is your site?

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by DVDiva

Pat,

Many thanks for your posts on "..Gold Monkey", regardless of if your R2 deal works out. If that does, I'm in for this one.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
In looking at that site, there are an awful lot of bootleg dvds for sale. While it does look like they are offering the official R2 set, I'm just not comfortable ordering from that site.

Gary "I'll have to be content to wait until others order from this site and can confirm it's legit or else wait and eventually order from Amazon UK" O.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Originally Posted by cajunhillbilly

I have ordered from her before. She is a honest person. I will order it and let you know.
Ok, that's good to know. I may consider ordering from this site because the price is much better than it would be ordering from the UK. Please keep us updated, Willard, if you do order and receive the set from this person.

Gary "this series isn't at the top of my list, but it's definitely one I want to purchase at some point and finding a good price will be very important" O.

DVDiva

Grip
Real Name
Pat
Originally Posted by Aryn Leroux

I am considering placing an order myself. Where would this originate from as far as shipping goes?

The DVDs will be shipped from Fabulous Films in the UK.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks