Tales of a blown subwoofer

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Aaron_Mum, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Aaron_Mum

Aaron_Mum Stunt Coordinator

Here is my story.
    I have had a PW2100 for a couple of months now and I have been tinkering with it more and more. Originally I calibrated it using DVE and found the sub level to be a little quiet. So I upped the gain on the amp a little and everything was to my liking. So one day I was listening to some 2 channel music and I wanted to boost the low end so I cranked up the level to about half and enjoyed. I got up and left and forgot about the level sitting at half. That evening my buddy came over and I popped in Star Wars AOTC to give him a demo. I turned it up and as the driver slammed into the back of the sub I remembered how hot I had the level on the amp! The inability of my beloved PW2100 to play low end frequencies after that had me taking it in to my dealer to service a blown driver. So here I am three weeks later waiting.
    I hope my misfortune has entertained you a little and I want to ask a question. How do you safeguard against this type of thing? If I didn't know any better I could have set the level to half when I first set up my system and then watched my sub explode without knowing any better. I know all you SVS guys are going to give me a hard time about my sub being wimpy but it is a great buy here in Canada! It would be nice if it had something that protected it in the event of a damaging signal. I know I'm going to be paranoid for a little while when I get her back. I guess setting the level to half for DVDs is pretty insane loud anyway so that should keep me safe!

2. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Aaron,

The thing to do is adjust the volume with the receiver's sub out rather than the gain when you want to play with it. If your receiver is capable of it (many are) it will remember the settings you had it at for each input type. So when you boost the low end for some music, but switch to DVD, it will switch back to its DVD setting. It also gives you the benefit of having some idea of how hot you're listening to your bass, as well as letting you more easily return to a calibrated level.

The other thing is to find a level for each input you like, and leave it there.

And the last thing you could do... Ready? You know it's coming...

[​IMG]

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. (In case anyone couldn't tell, that was a joke based on the original post.)

-Robb

3. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I'd recommend after calibrating just leave the level alone and switch to two channel and use the bass adjustment knob. Since most modern music have an over emphasis in the 60-80 hz then this is really what you want to boost.

4. Andy Goldstein

Andy Goldstein Stunt Coordinator

some amps/receivers have a setting for maximum bass allowed. seperate from the bass gain. on my kenwood its called "bass peak". you play the test tone, crank up the gain until you cant stand the distortion, or it bottoms the sub. then turn the control down a bit. it should never drive the sub to that point again. unless you mess with the gain control on the sub! [​IMG]

ag.

5. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Also be sure the room setup is optimized. If you haven't already...experiment a little with the placement of the subwoofer. Corners often work well---preferably corners near the key seating positions. Remember too, the new DVE disc has some issues with the bass calibration tones. I would use the receiver's buiilt in tones...or perhaps rent/purchase AVIA.

Another option could be negotiating with the deal to allow a trade up to the PW2200? Since it is taking >3 weeks(ouch) for him to get a replacement part...you might be able to convince him to give you full trade up for the bigger unit?

Tom V.
    SVS

6. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

and the best thing SVS could do would be to set up a Canadian Distributor like HSU has recently done.

I wouldn't consider paying the ridiculous Brokerage Fees that UPS charges when shipping Trans-Border. The Exchange rate is also a killer considering the value of Canadian Made speakers here.

That SVS doesn't look so attractive when the price doubles.
    I paid 1000USD for my Servo-15 when I got it new.

What about it Tom....

Aaron, sorry, had to vent. I think I paid 60CAD at amazon.ca for Avia. I have both DVE and Avia and would consider the Avia disc to be far superior.

7. Aaron_Mum

Aaron_Mum Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. I am not that familiar with the details of what you can get with better receivers. I'm liking the sounds of settings for each input type. The next piece of gear I am after is a receiver upgrade so I will make sure that the one I buy has lots of low end adjustability. I am currently using a cheaper Yamaha that is too limited for my tastes. I can get some good deals on Denon gear at my dealer when they have their annual sales so I'm going to start researching what model to go for.

I get your message loud and clear. Calibrate and leave the gain alone! Use other "safer" methods to tinker.

Good idea on the trade up Tom, its tempting, but my room is smaller and the small footprint of the PW2100 is what I need.

8. Tom D

Tom D Stunt Coordinator

Hi, I would recommend Denon 3805, with automatic calibration using an external mic from your seating position.

Regards Tom

9. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Get a big subwoofer that would kill you before you killed it?

[​IMG]