What's new

Tales From the Darkside (1 Viewer)

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Will there be a review on here for Tales from the Darkside: Season 1, which is released on Region 1 next Tuesday (10th February)?

robGray

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob Gray
I just checked out the box set tonight and the episodes run 22 minutes in length. Does this mean they used the Syndicated versions?

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H

This was a syndicated series so all episodes are syndication length.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

I requested it for review, but Paramount did not send it. They did send FRIDAY THE 13th - Season 2, and that review should go up sometime tomorrow.

njoberheim

Agent
Real Name
Rich
Hey Everyone,

If you haven't already preordered this please don't forget to pick it up this coming Tuesday. This will help the rest of the series to be released.

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H

As soon as I put the disc in and the opening credits of the first episode played, it was obvious why they wouldn't send this out to be reviewed before release date :angry:
Atrocious picture quality and I'm not even getting into the music replacements :angry:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

I watched a few episodes.
The picture quality isn't that bad. It's 25 year old lower budget show so it's exactly what I expected. The music replacement is very unfortunate. It is quite creepy, and sounds vintage with a lot of synthesizer work.

When I first heard about the music replacement I was upset I pre-ordered it. After watching some episodes, I realize I can live with it. It's a great show that I want to see released until the end.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack

I am curious about the music replacements also.. I watched the fist episode and the opening and closing title music seemed to be the original. It must be some of the episode score music?

Anyone clarify this?

(Paramount has been listing music changes and even edited episode changes on releases lately but usually they do that as a legal thing... and sometimes there were no changes at all)

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
It's the score in most of the episodes. The original theme & voice over is still there. To be honest I don't even remember the score music from the episodes so it doesn't bother me. If the theme music wasn't there that would be abother issue entirely.
I think they could have done better with the picture quality. True the set is still totally watchable, but I'm sure they could have improved the picture somehow. I've seen some of the episodes on the sci fi channel look better than some of the scene in some on the DVD. I'm just glad I didn't spend over $25 for this set.

Joe Kelly

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JOE
No offense, but it's not like Tales From The Darkside is a classic like the old Twilight Zone or Outer Limits. I thought the picture quality was OK for a budget show and didn't even notice the music, except for the creepy beginning and ending theme/voice music, which is the same. The shows are fun to watch and that's the important thing. I watched the first 2 discs, especially liked Bruce Davison in Stephen King's "Word Processor Of The Gods". I would definitely buy future releases (and hopefully someday, the "Monsters" series).

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Tales from the Darkside was a low budget show shot on low quality stock and edited on 1" Umatic. It has always looked awful, it will always look awful. Its not Paramount's fault.

As for music replacement, I'm not exactly sure what they needed to replace since there was no licenced music on this show.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
That may be the case. IIRC, on Trick or Treat at least, the bulk of the soundtrack was from stock sources.

EDIT: It just occurs to me how hillarious its going to be if they have to replace the soundtrack to "Ursa Minor" next season.

Nick Zbu

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Zbu
I bought this on a whim (I was going to wait until the DeepDiscount June sale, but it beckoned to me at a B&M so I bit and bought it) and I'm satisfied with it. The image quality is a lot better than it should be and beats the Chiller transmissions by a clear mile. Sure, you can see it's made out of crappy video from the '80s, but it's a lot clearer than I thought it would be.

As for music replacement, I haven't noticed anything yet. Granted, the only time I've seen it is on Chiller so I may not be the authority here. Bottom line? The set is definitely worth picking up, and I wouldn't mind seeing CBS double up on some of the seasons as well.

And we need Monsters on DVD as well. A nine disc set complete series of that fantastic little show would make my day.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
So Far I've watched the first 4 episodes of TALES FROM THE DARKSIDE, and if they replaced the music I honestly can't tell.. the music so far seems very old early 80's fare. Maybe it was just certain episodes..?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks