What's new

Talented "Pretty Boy" Actors (non-tourny) (1 Viewer)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Terrell: Vickie, Dan saw Hayden in a play in which he was getting raves reviews. Dan said he was very, very good. And I've heard many say he was fantastic in Life As A House.
Yep, that's what his Screen Actors Guild nomination was for. It's on my list to see. I have no doubt he can act, but as we saw in TPM, even brilliant actors can come off as wooden and amatuerish while being directed by George Lucas. So, we'll see.

(Btw, I'm one who really liked TPM, and saw it 5 times in the theater, but I was drawn into that world *in spite of* the acting. I'm a Star Wars geek who can and will forgive a lot, as long as the good outweighs the bad, and there was much good in TPM.)

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
(Btw, I'm one who really liked TPM, and saw it 5 times in the theater, but I was drawn into that world *in spite of* the acting. I'm a Star Wars geek who can and will forgive a lot, as long as the good outweighs the bad, and there was much good in TPM.)

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
I thought that Phillippe was good with DelToro in 'The Way of the Gun'

I think that DiCaprio and Pitt are probably the two best actors who would fit the topic of this thread.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Duane, Ray Liotta, Benicio Del Toro, Gabriel Byrne and Russell Crowe? How? Now I guess Crowe would be the best looking guy out of that group, I still wouldn't classify him as pretty boy. As for the other three, they might fit if they were part of the talented ugly boy actors thread. Because there isn't anything pretty about them.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Terrell: Duane, Ray Liotta, Benicio Del Toro, Gabriel Byrne and Russell Crowe? How? Now I guess Crowe would be the best looking guy out of that group, I still wouldn't classify him as pretty boy. As for the other three, they might fit if they were part of the talented ugly boy actors thread. Because there isn't anything pretty about them.
Hey, don't you be sayin' that Gabriel Byrne is ugly! He's a heartthrob

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
:laugh: Sorry Vickie. Okay, we'll drop Byrne from that group. Coincidentally, I love Byrne and he's not as ugly as Liotta and Del Toro. I'm a guy and I don't judge how men look normally, nor do I care how they look. But since this is a thread about good pretty boy actors, I tried my best. But Liotta and Del Toro? Good Lord those men are oogly. Good actors, but oogly.

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Vickie, I think you might like it. I believe it was written and directed by the guy who wrote 'The Usual Suspects' (I think he won an Oscar for writing The Usual Suspects too?). The Way of the Gun is pretty smart, and there are a lot of good performances in it, especially Benicio Del Toro and Ryan Phillippe. It is the movie that made me look at Phillippe as a truly capable actor, although he was also pretty good in '54' I thought.

Anyway, check it out sometime if you can.

Viktor S

Auditioning
I don't know exactly how established Jude Law is as a "pretty boy", but I consider him to be one of the greatest young actors in Hollywood these days.

Travis D

Second Unit
There will be no dissing of the Pitt. I need not mention my heterosexual man-crush on him again....

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
I love Byrne and he's not as ugly as Liotta and Del Toro
Oddly enough, I always thought that Del Toro looked an awful lot like Brad Pitt.. They have very similar facial structure. I remember an old issue of, I think Rolling Stone, with Del Toro, Pitt, and Guy Richie on the cover doing a promo for 'Snatch'. It was hard to tell Benicio and Brad apart.
Now days I always say that Benicio looks like Brad Pitt after he's been sleep-deprevated and stoned for about six weeks ;) because of those dark circles that are perpetually under his eyes.
I don't think any of those guys Duane mentioned would qualify as 'ugly'.. Some of them just don't quite fall into the 'pretty boy' category.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I remember an old issue of, I think Rolling Stone, with Del Toro, Pitt, and Guy Richie on the cover doing a promo for 'Snatch'. It was hard to tell Benicio and Brad apart.
Well, that explains it. Pitt was a disguting looking gypsy in Snatch and Del Toro was a classy thief. You take Pitt when he is done up like a scumbag and Del Toro when he is done up to look good, and then you will have some likeness. :)
-Dean-

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Well, that explains it. Pitt was a disguting looking gypsy in Snatch and Del Toro was a classy thief. You take Pitt when he is done up like a scumbag and Del Toro when he is done up to look good, and then you will have some likeness.
:laugh:
yeah, well.. I still think they look alike. So Benicio can't be all that ugly ;)

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Regarding Christensen. As Terrell said, I recently had the pleasure of seeing him perform on the london stage in 'This is Our Youth'. He is a lad of exceptional talent and I am hoping that when Star Wars is behind him he continues to do roles that are more demanding of his abilities.

Dan

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
I like Cruise, he seemed like a good person and certainly takes a lot of chances doing different roles, I just don't think he's such a good actor, yet.

I think of all the ones that was mentioned, Densel Washington is the Gold standard.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Well, I don't know if Crowe is a pretty boy, but I'll disagree. Crowe is easily the best actor named so far, and yes Steve better than Denzel.:D

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
>>Crowe is easily the best actor named so far, and yes Steve better than Denzel. >Stallone wrote screenplays, directed, and was willing to look fat.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
What does Gladiator have to do with it? We're talking about acting. Gladiator is not Crowe's only film.:p) As for Stallone, he was terrific in Cop Land, though he didn't write it. But his performance was very good.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

Steve_Ch: Sorry, did not know that I accidentally walked into yet another endless Gladiator thread

Here we have a great example of what these actors have to deal with. Thanks!

Steve, have you seen Romper Stomper, The Insider, The Crossing, Proof, Hammers Over the Anvil, Love in Limbo, The Sum Of Us, L.A. Confidential?? Have you even seen A Beautiful Mind? He can make any role he plays, be it nerdy virgin, hard-bitten cop, frightening neo-Nazi skinhead, shy, mentally ill math professor, loving gay son, confused business executive, come to life and make you believe his character.

Russell Crowe is one of the best actors in the world today, and just because he was in a film you didn't like (or whatever the reasons for your griping are), doesn't make him any less so. I happen to think his performance in Gladiator WAS deserving of the Academy Award, even though the movie as a whole didn't do much for me. He grounded that film with a human presence that was far more than just a characiture (sp?) of a gladiator. He was the right choice for that role, because he can show fierce anger and pride, and sadness and melancholy. He fought and he cried, and both were believeable. He made it all real.

So, maybe he is a jerk (or not), he's scary talented and has more than proven himself. (edited to fix my bad grammar)

Btw, I don't consider him a pretty boy. As a healthy heterosexual female, I find him good looking, but not a heartthrob. Just like seeing Brad Pitt for the first time in Kalifornia made me not know he was supposed to be cute, I first saw Crowe in Romper Stomper, so looks were NOT an issue in my instant respect and admiration.

DavidF, good points about the actors who change their jobs, delve into directing (or whatever). George Clooney, considered quite the heartthrob and not taken seriously enough, is directing a film, and I thought that Crowe was thinking about it too.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I have not seen Romper Stomper or Hammers Over the Anvil. But I've seen th rest. The one amazing thing about Crowe is he can do it all, and do it believably. Be it action, adventure, drama, etc. About the only thing I've not seen him do is comedy. But he has this incredible ability to lose himself in the role, and completely transform himself. If you watch The Insider, then watch A Beautiful Mind, and then watch Gladiator, you'd swear it wasn't the same actor playing those roles. Phenomenal. And he isn't a pretty boy, not that I'd know. Basically Crowe is one actor that I'd automatically pay to see, in anything. Pacino is another. And Harrison Ford and Dustin Hoffman are others that would automatically draw me into their films. Although none of them are pretty boys.

Collin Ferrell seems to be a good, pretty-boy actor.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
Lighten up folks, whenever Terrell and Crowe pop up, it always reminds me of Terrell's tireless defense of Gladiator, that's all, and I did put a "face" there to say, it's a "joke".

Terrell, as to "seriously", what does Gladiator has to do with this? Nothing. But then again, what does Crowe has to do with this? You already said, and I quote: "And he isn't a pretty boy, not that I'd know.", and I THOUGHT this is a Pretty Boy thread, and I mention Denzel ONLY in the context of Pretty Boy, and NOT that he's the "gold standard" for ALL actors.

Vicki, there's no need to convince me the brilliance of Crowe, as I have never attacked him, you can search my name on ALL the posts I have ever make here, I think the most I ever said (and may not even be that) was he wasn't that good in Gladiator. My Gladiator line was strictly a joke to Terrell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks