What's new

Taking your car to the junkyard... (1 Viewer)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Well my 90 Maxima's auto transmission just died at 170k. I also have a problem with the brakes and the mechanic says total cost with labor would be about $4,200. The current value of the car is literally half that at $2k. Such a shame, it's a perfectly good car, except for the tranny and brakes. :)
I love the 3rd generation (89-94) of Maximas so much I'm considering buying another one. Any recommendations for a sleeper car with some power under the hood? And is anyone selling a used car under $3k, preferrably manual this time? :emoji_thumbsup:

Caleb Penner

Agent
Consider finding a used or rebuilt tranny at a junkyard and taking it to the Automative class at your local high school for them to put in. They can do the brakes easily too. (Unless I'm missing something, like your brakes are *really* hooped, or used tranny are very rare)

Caleb

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I don't know if it's available in the US, but the Nissan Skyline is a pretty nice car. It looks understated, has lots of interior room and convenience features, and has plenty of power. The second from top model has a nice 2.5 litre turbocharged V6, putting out 250hp and doing 0-60 in 6 seconds (next model up, the GT-R, does it in 5.2, but costs twice as much second hand). I was recently looking at buying one. Costs about the same as an equivalent year V6 Maxima here in NZ, or less for the pre-'93 R32 shape.

Adam

Kolya

Stunt Coordinator
No, the Skyline isn't available in the US :frowning:
If you could muster up a bit more cash, I'd go for a 1st gen Q45.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks