What's new

Taking out the trash (1 Viewer)

CaseyLS

Second Unit
I hate to bring in petty BS but what do you guys think?

My roommate and I have a disagreement about how one of the household chores should be done. Basically he says taking out the trash and putting a bad in the trash can are two different jobs. He will take out the trash and then not put a bag in the can thus leaving me to do because if there is not a bag in the can he'll find one of the three in the apartment that does.

My arguement is, taking out the trash and putting a bag in the trash are part of the same job. It only takes 10 seconds to put a new bag in there. When I take out the trash, I always put in a new sack, that way if some one needs it is available for use.

CaseyLS

david stark

Second Unit
Thats why I love living on my own! The only downside is that the only person to blame for all the mess is me.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
How old is your roommate? 6? Pretty infantile attitude.

Yes, the chore of "trash" does include putting a new bag in the can. It takes all of 10 seconds.

That's like saying cleaning the dishes involves washing only. Someone else should rinse them.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Putting in a bag is PART OF taking out the trash.

Does he think flushing is part of taking a dump?

CaseyLS

Second Unit
I thought about using that as an analogy.

He's nearly 22 but I guess he's too busy stroking his own ego because he has wealthy parents.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
with no offense to your roomie (okay, maybe a little) ....

he's a dork.

'nuff said...

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
lol Its that big of a deal to put in a trash bag?

Your roomate sound like he is going to grow fangs and claws one day. Be prepared.

Caleb Penner

Agent
A habit I have is putting several (5-10) empty bags in the can before putting in a new bag. That way there are already bags there when the next person empties the can.

John Alvarez

Screenwriter

Obviously he isn't getting any money or he would be living on his own. I hope you don't share a bathroom....

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
Wow.

You'll learn in life that stuff like this isn't worth getting stressed out over. There are all kinda of people out there - part of the learning experience is meeting people like this guy who expect life to hand them things that other people see as petty and stupid.

If he doesn't want to put a bag in the can then yes, he's being a dick, but you're not his Mommy. Do it yourself and be done with it. 10 seconds is 10 seconds, and you & I know that it's gotta be done eventually.

You can take comfort in the fact that, one day, this kind of thing is going to come back & bite him in the ass in a situation & with a person that he has no control over.

Dont sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Moe.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
I'd go with what Caleb said, put like 3-4 bags in at once. Then when he takes out the trash, voila there is already another empty bag in the can ready to go. Plus if he makes this division of one person empties and the other one bags, you can get him to carry it 3-4 times while you sit on your butt. Since you already bagged it 4 times, he has to now carry it 4 times. His rules, not yours...

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I ate my last roommate. He left dirty dishes in the sink again :angry:.

At the very least, kill him.

--
H

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i like moe's attiude here (screw the petty stuff), but this is one where the roomie is being *just* as petty -- if not more.

why should casey have to put up with the bs?

Philip_T

Supporting Actor

You have a roomate that actually shares in the chores by taking out the trash?????? Be thankful he does that much. :D
My old roomates liked to play the game 'lets see how much trash we can pile into the garage can before Phil caves in and takes it out'. When I would refuse, they would start stacking the trash up around the the full can. :angry:
Nowadays, I always make sure there are a bunch of bags stashed in the bottom of the trash can so when I pull one out, I can just reach in the bottom and place a new one on. But my wife usually beats me to it before I even get back in from the garage.

CaseyLS

Second Unit
Yesterday before I left for work I went into his room and set down the cans he didn't finish and told him it was a reminder to finish what he started. Seven hours later he put a sack in one of the bags and the other still has a bunch of trash in it but no bag.

I know it is very petty but I just get sick and tired of him doing stuff halfway and not finishing it. For example when dishes are put into the dishwasher he will only put in his even if I have just one cup. When I do dishes I don't stop filling it until it is full.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Casey...I make it a habbit, when I finish with a dish and take it to the sink, to put it in the washer right away, even if it's just one item. Maybe ya'll should do that.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler

No shit huh? I can't stand that. My teenage brothers just don't get it. Use a dish, wash the dish.

Casey, "petty" is right but it would bug the shit out of me too. Grasshopper, jet straight-forward to finding a way of living on your own. When those little-things start to work your nerve, "it will be time for you to leave."

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy

Ahhh he's one of those types. There's no talking to these people generally - your just going to have to deal with it. He's playing the "I'm only going to do what I absolutly have to" chores. These roomates are the worst kind since your fighting over the small petty shit and from my experiences its usually impossible to talk to them about it. Really, its all about chipping in and helping out when one can but he doesn't seem to care or want to.

Here's a roomate horror story - A couple of years ago I lived with a friend and his sister in their house that they had just bought. I went away for 3 weeks for work and then came home. I guess they didn't believe in letting out the dog to do its business in that time, I walked in the home and it reeked of dog shit. Going downstairs I could see dog turds everywhere and the concrete floor stained with urine. It wasn't like this when I left I thought. The laundry machines were down there - it was so bloody disgusting I didn't even want to do my laundry there anymore. So I approached them about it, I said "this isn't good, this is a health hazard and I would like you to either clean it up or if you can't, I will just ask". Now don't get me wrong - I don't have a problem with a dog having to go inside but at least clean up after it. But these people were so useless that they couldn't even find the 10 seconds it took to open the door and let the dog outside to roam around the fenced yard. So, Instead of actually being able to talk about this, we got into a huge fight about some other stupid thing. Long story short, I realized there was no talking to these people and instead of cleaning up the piles of dog shit in the basement she was lighting up incense instead, trying to mask the smell. I moved out within the month and seriously wondered how people could live like that.

So Casey, the next time you have to replace the bag because you roomate is a useless tit, just remember my story. It could be a lot worse for you :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks