taking my NTSC DVD's on the road (to PAL country)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GarrettMN, Feb 17, 2003.

1. GarrettMN

GarrettMN Auditioning

well i am planning on moving from the states to a PAL country (PAL AND 220) and a few questions come to mind:
    1. should i dump my collection and start over (this is my last option - id rather not)
    2. if i get some sort of dvd player - that will play them - is it safe to assume that if im gonna watch these on a PAL TV, that the DVD player will be doing the conversion to PAL and therefor - NTSC discs will not be native and not be as good as PAL discs.
    3. what does the picture actually look like - id hate to get some converter (outboard or bulit-in) and then make my trek only to find its aweful... since i have no access to a PAL TV to see the results.
    4. will these players play component - or will it look screwy
    5. are there even hidef sets in pal county and does it matter
    6. do pal sets honor progressive?
    7. is this the way to go - or should i get an outboard converter (which look awefully varied and a HUGE range in price... whcih leads me to my next question):
    8. what are the diffs on a box for 200 vs 1600[/list=1]

any ideas - im totally at a loss...

thanx for are your help....

and if any of u have ANY idea how i can go preview this process b4 i dump everything and start my collection again... let me know - i can even drive to l.a. since im only 5 hours away...

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

1- No

2- 99% of new TVs everywhere but the US are multistandard and so play NTSC natively

3- See 2

4- Yes

5- Yes, but no, it doesn't matter because there are no HD signals. There are digital widescreen sets however

6- Progressive capable sets are available, however they only do progressive NTSC not progressive PAL

7- See 2

8- I assume this referred to Q7, but general rule of thumb, especially with a converter is that the more you spend the better it is

3. Alex Bradbury

Your collections should work great in a PAL country, almost all relatively new TVs in a PAL country can do NTSC, so you just set your player to output NTSC. NTSC->PAL 60 conversion I've seen is generally fairly good anyway, though NTSC to normal PAL is obviously bad (NTSC is 60hz, with PAL at 50hz). You sohlud be fine with your collection in a PAL country, you'll probably be in an even better position. You can very easily play discs from any region in any video standard.

4. GarrettMN

GarrettMN Auditioning

great help guys. now the question remains - do i get a player that handles both pal and ntsc - and plays the both natively or just take an ntsc player along (witha 220 adapter) and get a pal only player.

these sets that play multiple standards - do they play each standard true to form or does one suffer...

also - one of u mentioned that progressive out doesn't matter on a pal set - do they not have set that handle progressive or is it not neccessary?

thanx again

5. Tim Fleming

Tim Fleming Stunt Coordinator

6. Alex Bradbury

Well, as long as your NTSC player will output a PAL signal (you can probably set it to detect which video format and output that) then there's no reason not to bring along your NTSC player. Although some cheaper TVs only support PAL 60, which your NTSC player probably won't convert NTSC to. I doubt that will be a problem though.

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

8. Alex Bradbury

Progressive PAL seems to be a very murky issue at the moment, I read there were legal problems with it (I guess patents and stuff) and some TVs advertised as progressive scan can only do progressive NTSC (likewise with DVD players). If I were you I'd steer clear of progressive PAL for the time being, and wait untill the mess is sorted out.

9. RobD

RobD Second Unit

Progressive pla is avaialable. Hacked versions of the Pioneer DV-747 and Toshiba SD-9500 can do it. Its mainly only projectors that can display the standard though, most TVs are progressive NTSC only.

If its the UK youre going to, heres a good multiregion reseller:
    http://www.techtronics.com

10. YANG

YANG Second Unit

GARETTE,
    If you wanna bring your player along,there should be not much problem,except that you will have to buy an additional voltage converter.
    Your player if it is only able to play ntsc softwares only,you will have problem playing PAL softwares.

It is advisable to get a new player once you reach your newplace.

Another important issue that i want to bring up is that...your softwares may get detained if the place that you r going practises strict censorship on video softwares...such as my country...

Otherwise there will not be much problems if you wanna move ur HT to a new place..

11. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Garett,

I used an NTSC player since 1997 (imported from the US), first on my normal TV (PAL and does accept NTSC) and later on my projector (accepts both too). No problem for 5 years (and Yang is right: you will need a 240->110 Volts converter for the main power). Last year I bought a multiregion player, to be able to play PAL-DVDs as well.
    Have both regions in my DVD collection now.

So you can do/have the same! Bring your player. The power voltage converter can be bought in Tandy-like shops (plm. $40). You can decide when to buy a multiregion player any time later.

Cees

12. GarrettMN

GarrettMN Auditioning

thanx EVERYONE. I feel a hell of a lot better now. Keeping the DVD's - buy a volt conv and then get a new TV when i get to AU. thanx again. THis forum rox!

13. Tim Fleming

Tim Fleming Stunt Coordinator