What's new

Taking my GRE on Monday (1 Viewer)

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
I've been on the fence for about 6 months now as to what to do with my future, and on Monday at noon I'll be taking the next big step, taking the GRE. I've been studying feverishly for a couple weeks, but any last-minute thoughts and tips would be appreciated. And, since I've not taken a math class in 6 years, and half the words on the study list looked Swahili, I'd appreciate any prayers, too! ;)

MikeDeVincenzo

Stunt Coordinator
Justin

Before I say anything, I'll state my score: 720V/680Q, from October 2002. Now that you've seen what I got, you can decide if you want to take anything I have to say seriously :)

What field are you going into? That is very, very important.

For example, if you're going into Comparative Lit., the results of the math section aren't going to mean jack, and if you're going into Mechanical Engineering, they aren't going to give a damn about your verbal section.

I think the main thing to remember while taking the GRE is not to let the computer intimidate you with its ever more difficult questions. Try to stay focused and calm, especially when it throws a question at you that seems to be utterly impossible. Calmly eliminate choices as best you can and guess.

With the verbal section, its really hard to do well unless you have a large vocabulary, which is why so many find it extremely difficult.

The math section is not as hard as it looks: most of the questions are quite simple, ONCE you can see past the tricks the ETS has set up to catch you. You'll never have to do any seriously complex calculations.

Finally, it should be mentioned that GRE scores are usually only used as a weeding out mechanism in the early stages of the admissions process. Your letters of recomendation and personal statement carry ENORMOUS weight when it comes to grad. school admissions. So even if you think you do poorly on the GRE, don't despair. Its not the be-all, end-all.

Good luck!

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Mike's right. And I got a 700V/760Q back in 1974. Expect lower scores than your SAT due to grading on a curve: my SAT's were 727V/800Q. Are you planning to take any of the subject-matter GRE's as well?

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
I'm going into Communications, with a rhetorical theory/public speaking bend, dabbling a touch with Organizational Communications. I'm not worried about the resume, writing sample, or letter of rec, since I've got all that covered. I never took my SAT (didn't have to for Wisconsin schools) but got a 32 on my ACT and didn't study. I'm only taking the general GRE, and I've got a book that's helping me study (I've not taken a math or substative English class in years). It should be interesting. Thanks for the tips!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks