Taking measurements

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Mike Nep, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Mike Nep

Mike Nep Stunt Coordinator

Call me new, but I was wondering what all of you use to take measurements of your speakers and room responses? I read about this stuff all the time in here and I want in. Just finished my first set of speakers and have three more projects on the way, so I wouldn't mind taking measurements on how they perform. Thanks for any replies.

2. MingL

MingL Stunt Coordinator

I use a Behringer ECM8000 measurement mic -> Behringer DSP110 Shark (for phantom power and mic-pre-amp) -> Sound Blaster Digital Music USB audio-in -> 1.8gHz notebook (running on battery) -> ETF5 or spectrum labs or spectraplus (depending on what I want to measure)

I use pink and white noise for quick one glance maesurements, pure sine tones for harmonic distortion and THD measurements and slow sine sweeps as a more accurate alternative to the noise signals.

3. Mike Nep

Mike Nep Stunt Coordinator

Anyone else have any suggestions or comments??? Come on, I'm dying to know over here.

4. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

ETF. You can use a SPL meter for the mic, but if you're serious about it, get a calibrated mic/preamp setup.

Pete