taking dvd screenshots

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jesse Clift, Aug 18, 2002.

1. Jesse Clift

Jesse Clift Agent

I could have sworn that I read a thread on how to do this a while back, but for the life of me I can't find it. Can somebody please post the link if it exists or just tell me how to do it? I have InterVideo WinDVD. Thanks.

-Jesse

2. Darren Davis

Darren Davis Stunt Coordinator

I think you can get a screencap program that will take caps of overlay images. There should be plenty on the net, just do a google search.

This is just a guess. If I'm wrong, please feel free to correct.

3. Jesse Clift

Jesse Clift Agent

I tried a screencap program from downloads.com but it doesn't really work and the other programs are not free. Anyone know if it's possible to do it with InterVideo WinDVD?

-Jesse

4. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    PowerDVD does it.

Mike

5. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Can you not just pause the DVD where you want the screen capture and hit "print screen" to throw a copy to the clipboard?
    I've never tried this, so there may be a reason that wouldn't work, but it seems that it should.

6. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    Mike,
    No. The DVD software has a color that's used to overlay the video over. Sorta how bluescreening works in film. When you do a printscreen, you'll get the overlay color, not the video that's overlayed. The overlaying is done in hardware in the video card.

Mike

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Mediamatics DVD player also does it and it too is free.

8. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

9. Jonathan Smith

Jonathan Smith Stunt Coordinator

Jesse,
    I also have the Intervideo WinDVD software and was trying to figure it out. Look in the help menu for Capture a still image (something like that.. it started with capture). It says that you can press "P" at any time during paused or moving playback and get a still image which is saved as cap001.bmp (and cap002, etc) in the Capture subdirectory of WinDVD on your hard drive.
    I tried it and it didn't work for me[​IMG] . The help menu also says that if it doesn't work to try disabling some option that is "grayed out" for me so I can't disable it. It was something about my video card that it didn't like I think. Maybe it will work for you.

10. Jesse Clift

Jesse Clift Agent

Jonathan,

I found the help section you were referring to and I also couldn't get the "P" button to work. I pressed it a bunch of times and couldn't find the bmp files anywhere.

I also tried a different capture program (can't even remember what it's called, i already deleted it) and I got a black screen every time I tried to capture something. I assume this is because of the color overlay? Anyway, I'm going to keep trying some different programs. Does anyone know what Ron uses for his screen captures?

-Jesse