What's new

Taking DVD Requests For SVS PB2-Ultra Review (1 Viewer)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
ROFLMAO Craig.

Edward,
On the Toy Story Boxset(not sure on the 2 disc set), there is a 5.1 trailer for Monsters Inc. The bass on the door thumping about gave me a heart attack. This is on the Toy Story 2 disc.

It's a trailer with hella good bass so I don't have a demo.

Rundown had some good stuff but I can't remember what parts really suprised me. It's been a few weeks since that viewing.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

Two ports plugged, tune switch set to Bypass.

My test rig only gets to 10 Hz, and I know she'll do better than that in Bypass mode with room gain.

That scene digs to 5 Hz strong. Probably THE deepest/strongest bass novelty I've come across. Great suggestion. I'll be careful not to bottom the woofs - I'll be peeking at them above the baseplate, watching excursion, and working up slowly.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

Damn! Forgot about The Rundown. Punishing body blows in the opener fight scene, and the methane explosion in the cave was a real face melter. Awesome.

Alex_P

Stunt Coordinator
I'm guessing, you guys don't have a life :D just joking... most of the movies you guys mentioned, I have them... still need to get monster inc and the rundown... I'll probably recieve Master and Commander by this weekend. I heard it contains lots of good strong bass... so check that out...

Alex,

Jon-C

Stunt Coordinator

Scary stuff, Ed.
Bypass makes me nervous.

My PB2+ might be in too large of a room to try that now.

But, the wife and I have discussed putting a small HT set-up in the bedroom (around 2000 ft3). I'll gladly lug the BEAST in there for a few demo sessions... Gosh, I'm all giddy just thinking about it! :D

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

Aww c'mon. The weather's starting to break and the hot-rod Harley's out of storage and setting off car alarms all over the neighborhood, woodchucks are out in force, turkey season is just around the corner, the archery range has been set up in the backyard and there's a new bow on the way, summer skeet league is underway, and the puppy is now a yearling and he'll soon be starting serious training for the fall. Life is good - and diverse. Who needs golf, anyway? :)

Chris A H

Stunt Coordinator
Master & Commander, one of my new demo discs. Check out the following:

1. battle scene from 11:00 through 11:35
2. cannon shot at 13:31

My couch has never shook this much...

terence

Supporting Actor
Well Ed looks like everyone corverd my picks, but you know i was going to say Matrix Revolutions and check this one out...

Blade II / DTS comes to mind as well. What do you think?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
BladeII in the dance club. Lots of bass, but not particularly low. Final fight scene has some good thumps. Great surround in DTS.

I was thinking about Pearl Harbor too. When the first few torpedos go off, and they show the nurses hearing the explosions, there are some very low thumps.

If you can find the animation Jin Roh, since it is somewhat obscure, there is one scene where there is a girl running through a sewer with serious low stuff going on. There is construction going on around my place, and when the scene came on, I paused the movie because the room was vibrating and I thought someting had happened outside. I turned it back on, and the vibration was back, so I rewound it and turned it up - WOW. Very low ambiance rumbling. Good flick too if you like the Tom Clancy kind of stuff. Excellent soundtrack on the movie, and the special edition includes the movie score.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
You got it, Tee. I did the Arizona torpedo hit, the Arizona sinking, and the "it's a dud" scenes already in the PB2+ review. But I missed that scene you listed and I'll add it. Ditto for the scene you mentioned too, John.

Blade II dts has some really good bass too - the opener has that super deep extended rumble before the head Reaper wastes all the blood bank vampires.

Jon - don't use Bypass normally. It's not for large rooms or high playback levels. But it's the only way to capture that 5 Hz stuff on Irene. Actually, I'm sure I could play that scene far louder in the standard 16 Hz or 20 Hz tune just because it has strong bass in the more common regions too. I think Anthony Gomez was the first to spot the 5 Hz stuff on his woofer, the Ming confirmed it on a waterfall chart.

Don't have Jin Roh, John, but it sounds interesting. Anime you say? I'll look for it.

Thanks for the time stamps, Chris. I'll be watching that movie tonight. DTS I assume?

terence

Supporting Actor

Yeah baby! :D That opener with the bass going so low and strong doing that part, was really creepin' the wife out! Subsonic Bass really adds to the movie watching expirence by helping set the mood for a sence IMO.

Thx for adding PH/DTS Ed. :emoji_thumbsup:

Jon-C

Stunt Coordinator
UNDERWORLD "Opening Title" 00:00:48...VERY STRONG, VERY DEEP

Two ports plugged, tuned to 16Hz(PB2+)

Unfortunately, this was all I could watch w/ the kiddies in the house. :b

I should have a chance to get some more stamps from it this weekend...I hope.

Steve Lumbert

Stunt Coordinator
Pick up Bass Mekanik "Faster Harder Louder". It's intended for car audio SPL but includes a DVD with 5.1 DTS and DD mixes. The DVD has 15 techno video tracks with multi-channel audio mixes and an 83 track test section.

The test section includes:

105 - 25Hz step tones
110 - 30Hz step tones
200 - 100Hz sweep
190 - 90Hz sweep
180 - 80Hz sweep
170 - 70Hz sweep
160 - 60Hz sweep
150 - 50Hz sweep
140 - 40Hz sweep
130 - 30Hz sweep
120 - 20Hz sweep
40 - 0Hz sweep :eek:

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Parker, Jon. More time stamps as you find them would be awesome.

I almost forgot about LXG (League) - awesome bass track and a several bone crushing hits, especially when that first underwater mine detonates.

I gave those tracks a listen, Parker, and I liked it - even over my PC speaks (some small bookshelf units powered by an external 100 WPC amp). I'll see if I can find it locally.

Steve - I've heard that DVD at car SPL drags. I've got the testing end pretty much covered with my test rig, but thanks for the suggestion, anyway. I can't imagine that 40-0 Hz sweep!

Ed

terence

Supporting Actor
Well i watched Master & Commander and i to vote for a test of with this flick. The chapter when there are firing pratice rounds is a good one. The movie was not bad either.

JoelM

Stunt Coordinator
I was very surprised with Joy Ride. I just finished watching this movie and with my 2 SVS 25-31 CS+'s it put a hairline fracture in a glass picture frame. The scene where the semi goes through the hotel just made me smile with delight. It's funny because my fiance loves it also so I never hear complaining. When my 2 Tumults are finished with 2000 watts pumped into them I hope for even more output. :)

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Ed,

Get someone to bring over an X-Box and a copy of Unreal Championship. Play Capture the Flag and go to the level Grim Smote. Measure the bass of the volcano as you run through it to get to the other bass. I'm curious as to what level that is. I have to turn the volume down on this board or I get a huge headache.

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.