Taking Delivery on KV36-FS13 Wega (what should I do first?)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Perry Jonkheer, Jun 18, 2001.

1. Perry Jonkheer

Perry Jonkheer Second Unit

I will be taking delivery on my KV36-FS13 Wega on Saturday. What are the must-do's in terms of setup etc?? I don't have much of a clue on what to do as this is my first "real" TV. I'm only 23, and this forum is growing on me like a disease and is slowly but surely killing my wallet! [​IMG] At any rate, any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thank You.
    ------------------
    "Who's this guy? I don't get it."

2. Rob N

Rob N Agent

Perry - Congratulations on the Wega. I've had my 36-FV26 for about 6 months now and I'm very pleased with it overall. As I've mentioned before in other posts, IMO the Wega's are pretty good right out of the box. I'd stick with "Standard" and "Movie" modes for most viewing. I'm not a big fan of "eyeballing" settings so if you can get a copy of Avia or VE I suggest using them to calibrate your set. Keep in mind that after calibrations the picture will probably "appear" darker then you are used to. Don't worry you'll get used to it after about a week and it really is much better.
    If you are still not happy with the picture after Avia or VE then you may want to go into the service menu and disable "red push" and adjust the black level. There is a lot you can do if you want to. It just depends upon how involved you want to get to get a "better picture" then you get out of the box.

3. Perry Jonkheer

Rob,
    Thanks for the reply. Have you disabled the "red push" and adjusted the black level? I heard a bit about this and from what I can make of it, red push should be turned off.
    Thanks.
    ------------------

4. Rob N

Rob N Agent

Yes, I disabled "red push". However, before you do so you should see how your set looks first. When I got my Wega (using movie mode) I first set my color temp to "warm" (which is as close to 6500K as you can get on the Wega) and the SVM to "off". Then I ran the calibrations with Avia. After about a week at the Avia settings (allowing myself time to get used to the new settings)I went into the service menu and disabled the red push and set black level and re-calibrated with Avia once again. The second time around (Avia and Service menu adjustments) was slightly improved (but not dramatically so) over the first.
    I caution people from messing around in service menu because if you don't know what you are doing you can really screw up your TV. Additionally, I recommend entering the service menu only after you done Avia or VE. If you are not going to calibrate the set (with a DVD like Avia or VE) then you will not see much improvement by adjusting the red push or black levels in the service menu. IMO, making calibrations with Avia or VE will yield much greater improvements then just making the service menu adjustments. Short of having a professional ISF calibration ($$$) the combination of Avia/VE calibrations and possible Service menu adjustments will give you the best picture possible.

5. Perry Jonkheer

Rob or anyone else,
    Are you using an S-Video cable with the Wega? I currently already have a Monster S-Video. Is it worth my while to go out and purchase the component cables?? What kind should I buy??
    Thank You.
    ------------------

6. Rob N

Rob N Agent

Perry - When I first got my Wega I used S-Video to connect my DVD player. However, about two months later I switched to component cables. I believe there was a small improvement in doing so. However, I'm not sure if this is a result of switching out my $5.99 "no-name" S-video cable to "expensive" Monster Component cables or not. In other words, if I already had a "quality" S-video cable would I have noticed any difference at all? I don't know.
    Asking which brand of cables to use in this forum can open a real can of worms. I too use Monster cables. Many people here at HTF feel that they are overpriced. Maybe they are but, I've been happy with the results using their "Video 3" line of cables. I've heard many good things about the Acoustic Research (AR) line of cables. They can be readily be found at most "Lowe's" or "Home Depot" type stores and are less expensive than Monster.
    My general feeling is that if you are spending the kind of money you do to buy a nice Wega then you probably should go ahead and use "quality" cables to make your connections. Some people think that cables make all the difference in the world while others think it makes no difference at all. My philosophy is that S-video is better then composite and component is better then S-video. As for which brand of cables you use... you are probably just splitting hairs. Again, just my opinion.
    One other piece of advice: If you are going to switch cables do so before calibrating your set with Avia or VE. If you calibrate before switching then you'll need to re-calibrate after.

7. DaleB

DaleB Stunt Coordinator

Recommend Liberty (order from onecall.com) or Bettercables.com cables for S-Vdieo and Bettercables.com for components. For components, Bettercables is far superior to anything else unless you got real deep pockets when it comes to component cables.
    It's a personal opinion, but if you check around many have had similar experiences.
    Found the pin retention on Liberty S-Video cables superior better to Monster (tend to work out of the socket) and the picture slightly better. Could be because of the grippier pins..good vs. better cables is not always just black magic...there can be real reasons ; )

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Also, Perry, on a practical note: Designate a specific place where you intend to install your WEGA, and plan on having some help placing the set where you want it. That beast weighs 250 pounds. My KV-32FV26 clocks in at a too-hefty 176 pounds--and when I move it to a different location this fall, you bet I going to call a buddy over to help.
    I watch in "Movie" mode exclusively--the set is used strictly for home theater purposes. Always leave SVM switched off.
    And, so help me, I advise you live with the set for a month or two before entertaining any notions of poking around in the service menu.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

9. Perry Jonkheer

Thanks for the help guys...
    Jack,
    What is SVM?? (excuse my ignorance)
    Thanks again.
    ------------------

10. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

SVM = Scan Velocity Modulation
    This is when the scanning rate is increased around the borders of objects in the onscreen image--usually between lighter- and darker-shaded objects. It's a form of edge enhancement, designed to deliver the illusion of "sharpness." It is nothing more than a distortion, however.
    (I like it how, in the company's promotional literature, Sony advertises that its WEGAs "feature" SVM--when we HT purists would buy the sets because you can defeat the SVM!)
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

11. bently

bently Extra

buy heavy duty casters!
    i was looking for a tv stand w/ casters that can handle the weight of the 36" wegas (around 250 lbs.)
    but i did not find anything i liked.
    so...i bought the sony stand and 4 heavy duty casters that can handle up to 800lbs.
    so now i can easily access the back panel if i want to change or add any connections. [​IMG]

12. Ken Stuart

Ken Stuart Second Unit

Yes, I was surprised that everyone was talking about adjustments - which is the stuff you do after you get the set, and nothing about preparations until Jack found your thread.
    Unless you have specific plans otherwise, you need to get a Sony Wega stand and one that is designed for the new 36" models (the old stand only matches the old sets).
    It takes an hour or two to build the stand, so you cannot get both the TV and the stand delivered at the same time in boxes - the delivery guys are not going to stand around for a couple of hours while you build the stand. [​IMG] Many local stores carry the stand already built for an extra fee, like $20.
    Then, you'll want to have your wires laid out in advance, so they can be connected right as the set is being installed.
    Concerning cables, my advice is that the difference between very lowest end "audiophile/videophile" cables and generic cheap cables is more than the difference between different grades of "audiophile/videophile" cables. So, you can spend $10 or $15 per wire and get good results, whereas the $1 cables might degrade your picture and sound.
    Also, besides the component connection being better quality (it bypasses one portion of the electronics), it has another advantage, which is that you can turn on the "enhanced black mode" on your DVD player if it has one (Toshiba DVD players usually do). This will give your picture 7db more dynamic range between light and dark - which is a significant advantage.
    A 32" Wega can be installed on the stand by two fairly strong guys who are focused on what they are doing. But, the 36" Wega requires three guys (unless one is Ah-nald [​IMG] ) and then there is the problem of 3 guys all getting good hold of that set at one time, etc. In other words, the 36" Wega requires someone who has done it before. If it is "red carpet" or "white gloves" delivery then they probably know what they are doing...

13. BrentB

BrentB Extra

i HAVE ALSO PAID FOR THE SAME MODEL. I'M A NEBIE HERE AND DON'T KNOW WHAT IS REFERED TO WHEN YOU TALK ABOUT 'VE' AND 'AVIA'. WHAT ARE THEY, WHAT DO THEY DO,DO I NEED THEM TO GET MY SET UP AND RUNNING THE BEST OR???
    aNY SUGGESTIONS OR HELP IS APPRECIATED

14. Perry Jonkheer

Thanks for all your help guys. I finally received my set. It looks great! One question... Is the image on the TV supposed to shrink when you turn on the 16x9 enhanced mode?? I lost about 1.5" on the top and bottom.
    Thank You.
    ------------------

15. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

16. Perry Jonkheer

I'm not sure if you quite understand my question. I am watching a movie "Toy Story 2" in the widescreen mode (16x9), and when I switch my TV to the Enhanced Mode, the image gets even smaller. The current widescreen image shrinks beyond it's current size.
    ------------------

17. Allan Mack

Allan Mack Supporting Actor

Hi Perry,
    You need to set both your DVD player AND your TV to 16:9 mode.
    Try this: First, turn OFF the 16:9 Enhanced Mode on your WEGA. Then, switch your DVD player into 16:9 Mode. You should get an image that fills the entire screen (ie., no black bars at the top or bottom.) However, objects such as Woody and Buzz Lightyear will appear to be taller and skinnier than normal. Now, turn on the 16:9 Enhanced Mode on your WEGA. You should now see a very high quality picture with virtually no scan lines.
    E-mail me if you have any further questions...

18. Perry Jonkheer

Thank Allan. That worked great! When I change the aspect ratio on the DVD Player...I put it in widescreen mode, not letterbox right?
    Thanks again. I knew I was doing something wrong.
    ------------------

19. Allan Mack

Allan Mack Supporting Actor

That's right. Make sure your DVD player is in widescreen mode and not in letterbox mode.
    The image now looks pretty spectacular, huh? The WEGA is an awesome set--congratulations on your new TV.
    Just remember to turn off the 16:9 Enhanced mode on your WEGA whenever you view DVDs that have not been enhanced for widescreen TVs.
    For more information on anamorphic widescreen DVDs such as Toy Story 2, check out Bill Hunt's excellent website: The Ultimate Guide to Anamorphic Widescreen DVD (for Dummies!).