Taking a pole

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Co, Jun 26, 2002.

1. Jason Co

Jason Co Second Unit

How many people ou there bought speakers without actually auditioning them first? I am thinking of purchasing an Axiom setup and have read tons of good stuff, but I don't know if I will be able to get to audition them. Anyway just kind of curious to see the responses.

Jason

2. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

I did. My next speakers will probably be bought the same way. I know this is looked down upon by many people, but for me it was the better option.

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

i thought you built them Saurav? Myself, nope.

4. Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo Second Unit

I just bought Axiom's M22ti and VP-100 center channel. They're supposed to arrive tomorrow. The Axioms come highly regarded and recommended by folks whose opinion I respect. So, I don't think that I'm taking much of a chance.

Oddly enough, I'm a little more nervous about the subwoofer I'm planning to purchase in the next few days. It's between the Adire Rava and the SVS 25-31. They both come highly recommended but I'm not sure which is best for my home. It would definitely help to hear hear them. Specifically, while I understand that the Rava can't match the SVS in output or extension, are the relative differences the sort that will matter to me in my home? (I never listen at reference level.)

5. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

6. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

I bought my Divas without auditioning them. It turned out to be the best audio buy I ever made and even more importantly, I made some friends in the bargain. Can't beat that. When you buy into lines like Axiom, Diva, ACI etc, the sound chatacteristics and service have been so well documented that I feel you have little to lose and much to gain.

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    You don't need to do a poll, just do a search to find out how many people are happy with Axioms. I don't own them, but I have auditioned them and they are all they are cracked up to be, IMO. Definitely a great bang for the buck.

8. Jason Co

Jason Co Second Unit

Actually according to my thread I am taking a pole. It's about ten feet long made out of steel. I think I may make a basketball hoop out of it. Is this the "how to use spell check forum?[​IMG]

9. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

I bought my ACI Opal and Emerald kits as well as my GR Research A/V-1's and A/V-1+'s without hearing any of them first. I've been quite happy with them all.

Brian

10. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

I bought my Paradigm Studio 40's without actually listening to them.
    I was planning to buy the Reference 60's at first - and had listened to them a few times. I liked them. And I had , in fact, placed my order with my contact. He came back to say that Paradigm was running 4 weeks delivery on the 60's.
    He said he could get me the Rosenut veneer 40's, with 20" Premier stands for a few dollars more than the 60's.

After spending a couple of days reading up on 40 reviews, and speaking at length with my Canadian contact who has the 40's, I said go and order them.

I am so pleased I had this unforseen change of events. The 40's fit my basement tweaked/HT room like a glove. Stand mounted studio style/monitor speakers for my room totally eclipsed my thoughts of floorstanders (I was moving up from Paradigm Monitor 7's) as a logical upgrade.
    Sometimes the gut feel works in ones favor. It did for me as the 40's lived up to all the positive feedback I had read and heard. YMMV.

BOK

11. JayDaniel

JayDaniel Stunt Coordinator

Jason,

I bought my BIC speakers w/o auditioning first. Yes, it is a crapshoot, but I feel like you can improve your odds by doing a lot of research in places like this, AR, Consumer Reports, Secrets, etc. Reviews are really helpful, not so much the numerical ranking (1 to 5 stars etc.), but the comments supplied by people who own the speakers.

In an ideal world, audition first. In the real world of logistics, budgets etc, it isn't always possible. Just be willing to live with the consequences, and hey, there's always Ebay.

JayDaniel

12. ling_w

ling_w Second Unit

I definitely had to audition them before I bought my main magnepans speakers (many times, when I got mine, upgrades, when friends got theirs). It is truely insane not to hear how a speaker sound before buying it. Speakers are such a personal preference item that one cannot go on what other people say.

I didn't audition the surround and center speakers though, since they were of the same manufacturer and auditioning was not a possibility due to lack of demo unit by the dealer. They did not sound as good as the mains, but it was based on need and the knowledge of lowered expectation.

13. Pete H

Pete H Stunt Coordinator

I can't imagine buying new without auditioning. Consider buying used.

14. mike_decock

mike_decock Supporting Actor

I bought my PSB Image 4Ts without hearing them first. They were "Stereophile Recommended" and well-reviewed but I've never been really happy with them. It took 3-4 months to break in and even though the high end is very clean and detailed, the midrange/midbass never came alive. I just ordered a pair of GR Research Paradox 1s "sight-unseen" but after reading many, many USER recommendations.

In the sub-$2K market, word of mouth means the most to me. I don't think I would pay more for anything without an IN-HOME audition.

-Mike...

15. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I bought my rotel amplifier without auditioning it, and I almost always buy my speaker cables before auditioning them.
    Yeah yeah, I know I live on the wild side.
    I would like to audition a speaker before I bought it, but then again... The way my mind works is I will start liking the speaker to justify my decision to buy it. It's a beautiful mind. [​IMG]

16. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

I bought my Axiom M3t's based on what people said here at the forum and everyone was right. I love my Axioms. Besides, you get a 30 money back guarantee, what do you have to lose?? Except money to ship the speakers back, but don't worry, you won't have any need for that! [​IMG]

17. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

18. ling_w

ling_w Second Unit

19. Rey_Ramos

Rey_Ramos Agent

Got my 4 Axiom M22's, VP150 center, Outlaw 1050 receiver, and my SVS Ultra without hearing any of it. Was the best purchase i've ever made. [​IMG]

20. mike_decock

mike_decock Supporting Actor

I'd say it's really a matter of cost. If it's a BIG purchase (that's a personal figure for the buyer), then by all means try to audition it. If you can't audition, try to find posts from people who have similar tastes in equipment to see if you would like it.
    There's also a lot of online vendors like www.redtrumpet.com who have a 30 day money-back guarantee and carry some very spendy equipment. I think the in-home audition is actually more valuable than the demo room.
    -Mike...