Takeshi Kitano's Brother Uncut

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Paul Wheeler, Feb 1, 2002.

1. Paul Wheeler

Paul Wheeler Extra

Is the region one version uncut if not where can i get the the uncut version thanks

2. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

The R1 DVD is sadly edited. I know you can get the R3 (Hong Kong) DVD (which is uncut) from DDDHouse. Hopefully somebody will post a link where you can buy the R2 (Japan) DVD (which is also uncut).

3. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

This is what bothered me. What were the cuts made? The film was still very violent. And, editing this is gonna make any future Sonatine release butchered as well.
    Bruce

4. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

5. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

For the R2 Japanese release:
    www.cdjapan.co.jp
    Price is around $40.00
    Presented in anamorphic widescreen with dts & Dolby Digital Japanese soundtracks. Subtitle options are English & Japanese.
    For the R3 Hong Kong release:
    www.yesasia.com
    www.hivizone.com
    www.dddhouse.com
    www.dvdasian.com
    Price is between $10-$15
    Presented in letterbox widescreen with dts, Dolby Digital, and stereo Japanese soundtracks. Subtitle options are English and Chinese(simplified & traditional).

6. Richard Michael Clark

Richard Michael Clark Second Unit

Paul

The UK R2 DVD is uncut anyway and anamorphic. Just get that!

7. Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne Supporting Actor

I saw the cut version at the Melbourne Film Festival mid last year, and now own the uncut UK disc (which has a superb 50 minute documentary on Kitano as one of the extras).

The 'chopsticks up the nose' scene was shortened to remove a bloody POV shot from out of the guy's eyes as he screams (quite stylised, as if someone threw red dye over the camera lens) - the US version cuts to black.

The scene where Kitano knocks a gunman's hand aside in a car (shooting the driver) unfolds entirely in color in the uncut version - the US version briefly changes to b/w to lessen the impact of a gory squib.

Various shootings now also have large, bloody splashes of gore hitting the wall - some of these were digitally erased from the Statside version. Aside from the above (unless I'm forgetting something) many of the alterations were subtle digital removals of blood from various scenes of violence rather than overt cuts. I've seen stills online that show 'before and after' shots of these digital alterations, but don't remember where.

I'm happy with the UK transfer. The Kitano doco included on the UK disc is highly recommended, and there are some good, additional interviews with the cast and crew.

8. John P Grosskopf

John P Grosskopf Second Unit

The only problem with the Region 3 release is that the English subtitiles stay on the entire time. If you leave them off, no translation for foreign language. Leave them on, and everything, including the English, is spelled out in subtitles.

A little distracting, but at least the film is totally uncut or altered in any way from the original version.

9. Paul Wheeler

Paul Wheeler Extra

The UK R2 DVD is uncut anyway and anamorphic. Just get that!

I am going for Hong Kong Region 3 a friend is going over there and it' DTS and only $40 hkd which is £3.60

10. Estevan Lapena

Estevan Lapena Stunt Coordinator

Isn't the R.2 Disk PAL??? How can I play that in Region 1??? I think it would just be a hassle to get a multiregion player that converts PAL and is actually half decent.

(Without using the computer)