1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Take that, iPad!

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones / Entertainment' started by Hanson, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    So Dave, are you saying that Verizon overcharges its customers and nickel and dimes them with hidden fees?

Shocking.

2. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    No, what's surprising is that AT&T *doesn't* have such billing on the iPad. "Open" is great and all, but I prefer having Apple cramming customer-friendly billing down the carriers' throats to my benefit.

When the iPad is available on Verizon, what will the billing be? I'd bet that the negotiations between Apple and Verizon involve such billing issues. If the iPad has these lousy Android billing "features", then we know Apple lost the negotiations.

3. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    One thing about the (re)activation fee thing w/ Verizon. It might turn out to be something they normally waive unless you suspend/reactivate often or do some other unusual things w/ the service -- might be more of a legal and/or contingency thing on their part, especially since they're entering relatively uncharted territory w/ this. Also, it might possibly get waived if you do it yourself online vs calling them up to do it for you.

FWIW, Verizon also officially charges (re)activation fee for regular cell phone service too, but I've never actually been hit by them myself. And certainly, it seems they generally waive them for DIY online (re)activation, which is pretty much common knowledge on the web, eg. I've done that several times in the past year or so because I needed to add/replace various phones for the family.

_Man_

4. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Uncharted territory. Except for the past nine months AT&T has already charted this out.

The beauty of the iPad -- and one of the reasons I'll buy a 3G next year -- is that I could use it on wifi for 11 months of the year and then pay $15 for a month's service while traveling for the holidays. And then forget about it for another year.

Or buy a Tab on Verizon and buy an activation fee. And then the monthly fee. And then a reactivation fee when I re-enable the device again. And then waste time calling and pleading with Verizon to waive the fees.

I've got nothing against Verizon per se. I had my cellphone with them for 7 years before switching to AT&T this summer. But with this kind of nonsense on a 3G tablet...it's no wonder the iPad is selling like gangbusters. People are going to buy the Tabs, get walloped by unexpected fees, and regret not buying the iPad. Verizon and Google and Samsung are selling the iPads for Apple.

5. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    I meant it's relatively uncharted territory for Verizon -- 9 months of iPad 3G at AT&T probably doesn't mean a whole lot to Verizon in terms of V's own detailed planning for this since I'm sure AT&T isn't sharing every last detail about how that's working for them.

In any case, since AT&T iPad customers aren't signed to any contracts, they wouldn't be guaranteed the no (re)activation fee aspect indefinitely anyway. Just as Verizon can simply waive their fee under most common circumstances (as they typically do for cell phone service), so AT&T can suddenly decide to add and enforce a (re)activation fee, if/when they feel it necessary. Neither company will be locked into it either way under the circumstance.

At the end of the day, it's just a $$$-making business to both companies, and they'll likely do what makes the most sense in balancing between customer satisfaction and making every last cent they can...

_Man_

6. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    I wouldn't be in a big rush to go and get these supremely cheap Android pads:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/reviews/2010/11/worst-gadget-ever-ars-reviews-a-99-android-tablet.ars

7. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    What a review! 2-3 hours *standby* time! That's insane! I've not seen a device in a decades that couldn't hold a charge for at least a days!

8. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson

The AT&T Galaxy Tab is $649 with the same contract terms as the iPad, or $15/mo for 250MB. So this is more of a "Verizon=Wallet Rape" issue than any inherent issue with the Galaxy Tab.

BTW, the worst deal is the Sprint one. $400 with 2 year contract, $30/mo for 2GB with an ETF if you stop service before the 2 years are up. Plus it's extra for GPS capability.

9. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    It's an inherent issue in the difference between the deals apple has gotten with AT&T and the (lack of) deals Google or Android manufacturers has with carriers.

10. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    Then why isn't there a different, higher priced plan for the AT&T Galaxy tab? After all, it makes calls as well, so you could easily make a new plan for it.

11. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    AT&T's seen the light.

And if they had a different, onerous plan for non-iPad tablets, customers would be strongly swayed to get the iPad for pricing alone. And AT&T wants desperately to transition from being iPhone dependent.

12. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    Here's a new contender in the Android tablet market:

http://www.viewsonic.com/gtablet/

The gTablet doesn't have market access out of the box, but apparently, this thing is a hit with the XDA crowd because it's unlocked and rooting is a cinch. The TnT Lite custom ROM is the most popular one and there is also a Cyanogen ROM available.

It doesn't appear that the tablet is really awesome without the custom ROMs, so perhaps tips towards a more techie crowd.

13. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Is it for sale? There's no price, no link to buy it, no links to vendors from that page.

14. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    You can Google viewsonic gtablet for online vendors, but Sears has been selling them all month.

15. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    http://video.allthingsd.com/video/google-andy-rubin-with-motorola-tablet-prototype/4BAACA69-E8CD-4120-BE7C-DD8703C3FEEA

This is an early, but very intriguing demo of an Android tablet. This is an exciting glimpse of (hopefully) true competition in the iPad tablet space in the next year.

16. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    And here comes the Chrome Pad:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/07/live-from-googles-chrome-event/?sort=newest&refresh=60

17. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Doh, it's a laptop not a tablet, move along...

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/07/google-unveils-cr-48-the-first-chrome-os-laptop/

18. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW

Pretty cool, including the mention that Google Maps will be using vector data going forward, if it's not doing anything remotely close to that already.

One thing. The note at the bottom of that video is wrong about that prototype tablet running Gingerbread -- it's actually their next version aka Honeycomb -- although the actual "article" (if you can call it that, at the "Read More" link) apparently has it corrected.

Q: Does the iPad have any sort of hardware 3D acceleration (or will likely have it for the next gen, 2011 model)? If not, they're gonna fall behind wrt something like that new upcoming version of Google Maps, not just 3D gaming. Of course, might not be a big deal at first, but they'll probably need to get that in there soon enough...

_Man_

19. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Well, the iPhone and iPad have the same chipset, and the iPhone can run Rage HD and that new Unreal-based game (the demo of which was amazing), so it must have some sort of 3D capability.

20. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

What, no love for Chrome OS?