What's new

Take Control TC1000 Remote - $97 (1 Viewer)

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
Hello everyone,

TechBargains.com has a link to the Take Control TC1000 Remote for $97. What do people think of this remote?

I've been looking for a little better automation than my receiver macros, anyone have this remote and know if it's a deal?

Thanks,

ELmO

Patrick_T

Agent
I owned one of these for a while when they first came out. I quickly found out the mistake I made by not getting the pronto and sold the unit. For 100 bucks it is not bad, but I would rather try and find an older or used pronto.

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
Pronto is like $500+ huh?

The single thing with my harman kardon receiver remote (which is quite crazy to me), is that I can't get it to turn on the receiver - and switch to a particular input, within a macro.

If I press turn on receiver, and then press DVD (to switch to that input), it takes that as turn on the receiver and now start controlling the DVD player (ie dont switch to the DVD input).

I can't believe they don't have some function on the receiver's remote to be able to switch to an input within a macro...it's nearly ludicrous to me.

-ELmO

Jim Lenneman

Stunt Coordinator
Elmo,

If the DVD input is being interpreted as "power on" then try sending DVD input without a power on command in your macro. Then, after a delay, try sending the DVD input again and see what happens. As far as Pronto pricing, a refurb TSU1000 with 1 year warantee can be had for $130 to $150 at J&R.com. At this price for a Pronto, the Take Control is a bad deal.

Jim L

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
Thanks for the advice.

Let's say my "input2" is my DVD player.

If I hit AVR/ON, within a macro - it will turn on the AVR.

If I hit AVR/ON/input2, within a macro - it will turn on the AVR, and then wait for a command to control the DVD player.

It does not recognize "input2" as power on, I have to program the macro as "input2/ON" for it to power on. The problem is the input2 button is used to switch to a different input on the receiver, as it is to control a different piece of equipment in a macro! So in a macro, it decides that when I press input2, it will control the DVD player (to turn on/off, play, etc), instead of actually switching to the DVD input on the receiver for me.

I emailed Harman kardon about this and of course received no response....I was waiting for them to say "Get our take control for only $99!!", but not even that.

If I can't switch to an input on the receiver, within a macro - a programmable remote is nearly useless to me. Yeah it turns on the TV, switches to inputs, but the whole reason is to simplify things for my family and myself so I can just hit - M1 - to play PS2, or M2 to play DVDs.

It should do this simple function and I can't get it to work...I give up heh I might have to get that pronto.

Thanks for the info,

ELmO

Vin

Supporting Actor
If I can't switch to an input on the receiver, within a macro - a programmable remote is nearly useless to me. Yeah it turns on the TV, switches to inputs, but the whole reason is to simplify things for my family and myself so I can just hit - M1 - to play PS2, or M2 to play DVDs.
Elmo, have you considered the Radio Shack 15-2104 for only $30? I have a macro programmed into mine to:
1) Power ON A/V receiver
2) Power ON TV
3) Go back to receiver and switch to satellite input
(Note: Step 2, powering on TV before putting the receiver into satellite mode provided the necessary delay time the receiver needed to POWER ON before it could accept any commands, like switching inputs. Is it possible this is what's happening with your receiver)?
4) Put remote in satellite mode to control satellite receiver (I leave my satellite receiver on all the time so I didn't program a satellite POWER ON step).
Hope this helps,
Vin

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
Thanks for the reply.

I have a question, the same button I press to switch to an input on the receiver, is the same button that is used in a macro to switch to that equipment to control it (IE lets say input2 is the button name, when you're not in a macro, pressing it will switch to DVD on the receiver. If it's highlighted and you press ON, it will turn on the DVD player). So within a macro if I press it, it does nothing whatsoever it sits there waiting for you to press ON or do something with the dvd player, it doesn't recognize it as changing an input on the receiver.

The input1, input2, and input3 have things on them. The input4 has no codes associated with it, so when I press input4 (in a macro) it switches to that input on the receiver. The problem is that the input1/2/3 have codes associated with them, and they control those equipment in a macro and won't instead switch to that input. It annoys me. I'm going to play with the remote now and see if I can get it to do anything. I don't think it has anything to do with the receiver powering up, because as I said input4 has nothing programmed to it, but if I hit it in a macro it switches to input4 on the receiver. In a macro input1/2/3 do nothing on the receiver, it sits waiting for me to control the other equipment (BLAH).

It would have helped if the remote actually worked.

Thanks for the help....

-ELmO

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
It just doesn't work. :frowning:
The receiver remote is bad, I can't believe they didn't include such a needed and simple function to change inputs on the receiver within a macro.
It has nothing to do with lag time because I turn on the receiver, then the TV, then the dvd player. It has plenty of time to be on by the time the DVD player is on, and you can see on the remote input2 lights up and then the dvd player turns on, but the receiver is staying in whatever input mode it had when it first turned on.
It's just a bad remote =(
-ELmO

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks