What's new

Take Advantage Of Denon 2900 Performane (1 Viewer)

Harold_T

Auditioning
If I have the Rotel RSP 1066 preprocessor, how could I route the Denon 2900 DVD player preprocessed audio to the speaker amp (RMB-1075) without given up the quality of the Denon 2900? That is why most are buying it, but if the audio is routed through a preprocessor, then it seems like your not taking adavntage of the 2900 capability, in fact your using the preprocessor audio decoder capability.
Thanks,Sid:confused:

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
if you run it analog from the denon to the rsp (use the multichannel analog in), you will use the denon's processing and bypass the rotels...

Rich

Harold_T

Auditioning
Kevin, I read on the HT Guide Forum that some were complaining about this bass management problem.
Your comment: "Except that you'll get "double bass" from the Rotel's 5.1 analog inputs..." If I use the Multi-Channel analog Input.
What is meant by "double bass"?
What is the solution?
Sid

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
In a nutshell, the 5 main channels of the Rotel's 5.1 analog inputs pass their signal cleanly. But the problem is the 0.1 channel. Not only does it get the LFE channel, as it should, but it also gets the low freq content that is "crossed over" (but shouldn't be) from the main channels. So now you have a full range signal going to all the mains *plus* crossed over bass going to the sub. Hence, "double bass."

Here's some more detail, in that this is not the only problem with BM on the 1066:

http://www.htguide.com/CFBoards/inde...artRow=1&CFB=1

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
Bill, I don't think setting the speakers to large on the Rotel would do anything for the 6 channel bypass. Setting all speakers as large on the 2900 and not using a sub would work. That is what I did with the Onkyo DV-Sp800 universal. I high pass the center through my sub so that makes the center "large". I DO have 4 full range speakers. Plus, I think the "double bass" issue has been addressed with the Rotel, so none of this may be needed.

Bill Blank

Stunt Coordinator
"Plus, I think the "double bass" issue has been addressed with the Rotel, so none of this may be needed."

Charles,

I've been away from all audio/hometheater boards for a while. Has Rotel come up with a firmware fix for this double bass issue or is it the $100 hardware fix?

Bill

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
If the BM is used on the Denon,then the double bass isuue is moot,since it will receive filtered signals on the main 5 channel,so there is nothing to redirect for the Rotel.
Same goes to the Outlaw 950.

Bill Blank

Stunt Coordinator
Lewis,

Is that indeed the case even without the latest firmware upgrades from Rotel?

If so, I'll be picking up a 2900 VERY soon!

Thanks,
Bill

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member

Bill Blank

Stunt Coordinator
Sometimes it seems we all get a bit crazy over this bass-management issue. My system comprises of surrounds and a center with quite decent frequency responses, in fact I used the surrounds for a short time in another 2-ch only system and they worked VERY well.

Remember simple 2-ch systems? When there was no such thing as bass management? Where you got as much low-end as your speakers were capable of and dealt with it? They're still quite popular, especially in Europe. So why then, with the advent of multi-channel hi-res audio do we obsess over such trite things such as bass management? Why not just run your speakers all full-range and deal with it?

I suspect that a lot of people do not have speakers that are up to the task of reproducing any bass below 50-60Hz and this is why they obsess over bass management. But most hi-res recordings aren't placing extremely low bass in the surround and center channels as far as I can tell so this type of extension capability of your speakers isn't necessary.

When I listen to music (2-ch only right now), I run my fronts full-range and depending on the type of music, I'll add or turn off the sub. My fronts are capable of reaching well into the lowest octave in my room, but on bass-heavy music I find that running them full-range WITH the sub (double bass I suppose) I actually achieve a slightly SMOOTHER frequency response that extends even lower.

Call me crazy but I can't see a downside to running all of MY speakers full range for SACD/DVD-A??? It's not as if I'm going to hurt my speakers in any way, after all, they've been run full range in my 2-ch system. I wouldn't be hurting my amplifier either, it's quite capable of playing clean and loud over a typical listening session with all channels driven fully.

So what gives? Am I nuts? Who caused all of this "BM" paranoia? Some slouch that was never satisfied with their 2-ch system? A nutter striving after that unattainable/undesirable goal of a perfectly flat frequency response over the entire spectrum of human hearing? Why don't we all just sit back and enjoy the music?

Bill

P.S. Sorry for the rant.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks