What's new

Take a look at this and assist with a receiver! (1 Viewer)

CoreyAC

Stunt Coordinator
hello, i am new here and i am trying to put together a basic but decent quality set up...so far i have the speakers but i need to get a receiver to go along with it...

so far i have the Infinity PS-12 powered subwoofer

and this weekend i am going to pick up the rest of the speakers...

all Infinity primus speakers...250 towers for front, c25 for center channel and 150s for surround..

the receiver i had been looking at is the Sony STR-DG500 6.1 Channel...

but now i am hearing and reading that sony is not very good...i have seen a few others like Onkyo (Onkyo Surround Sound Receiver (TX-SR573B)
that are in or around the same price range but have less power...

power is important and also clearity...also what else should i look for and nice to have in a receiver...

all help appreciated!

CoreyAC

Stunt Coordinator
anyone?

i think the room is 16x14 but it is open area

i think my budget will be around 300 or so...i wouldn't want to go much over that...or is it even possible to get a decent receiver for that range?

any input is much appreciated!

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
While Sony claims to have more power, in reality it really doesn't. The Onkyo will likely have more power or a Yamaha in that range. Try to find an open box on one of these at Best Buy or Circuit City, or whatever else you have in your area, but please don't buy a Sony audio product. Their speakers and Receivers are weak. I will make a more detail comparison of comparible receivers as soon as possible.

CoreyAC

Stunt Coordinator
ended up going with a sweet deal on a Yamaha HTR-5840 for way under my price range brand new! it doesn't have HDMI so i will be upgrading sooner than later though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks