What's new

Take 5.2 from Energy or HTD Level THREE (1 Viewer)

Al Jefferson

Auditioning
I currently have the Bose AM Series 6 home theater speakers (I know...they suck!!). I want to upgrade but I can't decide if I should go for the Energy Take 5 or the HTD Level 3 combo X. I know either one will probably be much better sounding, but I need some expert opinions. I would like to get something under $1000. Thanks!

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
Hi Al,

I have the original Take 5's and enjoy them immensely. They provide a good theater experience - you are truly in the center of a sound bubble. I have heard nothing but great things about the new 5.2's.

I have also heard good things about the HTD speakers. They seem to be a great "bang for the buck" type of item and offer very flexible packages and upgrade options.

One piece of advice- I'd go with a good subwoofer first. After you recover from that, a full $1000 spent on 5 speakers will go much further and I think you'll be happier. Just my two cents : )

Let us know what you do!

Matt

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
The Energy Encore system is a notable upgrade from the Take 5.2's. They run $1000 low online street price. That is what I recommend if you want micro sized speakers and have $1K to spend. Otherwise, you might do a little better with bookshelf speakers in some other lines, e.g. Paradigm.

I haven't heard the HTD 3's but they have a good reputation.

A

Anthony_Gomez

I used to use (still own...upgraded) the original take5's...and I think they sound awesome for what they are. They will step all over the bose. If you have the money, I would go for the encore to so that you can lower the XO point and not have so much sub localization.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Al;
I don't want to seem pushy, but I am trying to sell a set of Home Theater Direct Level III speakers right now. The set is a year old and in excellent condition. To know more about the offer, click here.
If you're interested, feel free to e-mail me or respond to that post. If not, don't worry about it. I just wanted to throw you that option.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I'm also a loyal user of the original Take 5. I'm replacing the fronts in a month or so with some Axiom floorstanders...but overall I've been extrememly happy with the Take 5. They never seem to amaze me when it comes to pumping out big sound, for being such small speakers.

I'm hearing good things with the HTDirect speakers too...so it's my guess that you'd be happy with either. I agree with Matt's take on getting a good sub.

Al Jefferson

Auditioning
Thanks for all of your replys. I have thought of just adding a subwoofer, but I didn't know if there would be any problems in adding it in with the Bose speakers. I have been looking at the Paradigm PDR-10 which I could get for $335 shipped and the Energy e:XL-S12 for $349 plus shipping. Any opinions on either and are these prices fair?

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
Here are the MSRP's on Paradigm subs: Link Removed
That deal is right about what you would except to pay.
If your listening is primarily HT as opposed to music, you might throw the Sony SA-WM40 into the mix at $135 online. You cannot beat this deal in the sub-$300 price range.
Also, the subwoofer that comes with the Encore system is supposed to be pretty good for a small sub.
Or you could move up to the Hsu VTF-2 at $400. It is substantially better than all these other options. Wouldn't leave you with as much to buy other speakers though.

Jeff_E

Grip
I own the HTD level III bookshelf 5.1 setup. I love it. They sound awesome with DVD's and especailly DVD Audio. The sound is very crisp.

I have had no problems with the sub, it has performed very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks