What's new

Tailor Of Panama worth buying? (1 Viewer)

ErichH

Screenwriter
Seemed as though the plot could have gone in 3 or 4 directions , and never made up it's mind which way to go - that would be the screenplay , I think ???? So , it's one of those movies that had an interesting start , but never got off the ground/canal if you wish . A waste of talent - We've seen this before .
Oh Well
Eric

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
A good, but not great, movie. Rental.
It has early promise of being this "anti-spy" film, but after 2/3 of the film it quickly becomes exactly the sort of spy film it was going against early on.
Good performances, good film. Just not great. (IMHO obviously)

Kevin Potts

Second Unit
While I wouldn't put it on my best of the year list, I really enjoyed this movie. It was very well acted (I never even would have known Brendan Gleeson was in it except for the opening credits) and I thought it had some great comedic moments. Especially from Brosnan's character. I bought this one blind and I'm glad I did.
------------------
rock_band.gif
"See the world on the wings of rock and roll"

Ugo Scarlata

Stunt Coordinator
The Tailor of Panama is currently ranked fourth on my Top 10 list of this year, so far. (The top three spots being taken by Amélie, No Man's Land and Amores Perros, respectively.) But hey I guess that's just me.
tongue.gif

As far as the DVD is concerned, it seems just fine to me: IMHO it accurately presents the film as it was originally presented in theaters earlier this year. I haven't had the chance to listen to Boorman's commentary yet, but it is a welcome addition to this special edition, along with the alternate ending.
On second thought, I too am a little biased about the film, since I am quite familiar with the world of "diplomacy" portrayed in the movie...
wink.gif

Cheers.
------------------
[ http://ugo.scarlata.it/?pid=about&cid=3
[Edited last by Ugo Scarlata on September 20, 2001 at 11:52 PM]

Ugo Scarlata

Stunt Coordinator
BTW: Roger Ebert gave the film 3 1/2 stars, so at least one other person thought it was pretty good...
wink.gif
Here's a snippet of what he had to say (or click here for the full review.)
Many thrillers are essentially machines to inject a shock into the audience every few minutes. "The Tailor of Panama" is a real movie, rich and atmospheric, savoring its disreputable characters and their human weaknesses. And there's room for genuine emotion, too, in the way Harry Pendel desperately holds onto the respectability he has conjured out of thin air. And in the way the stubborn, heedless Mickie Abraxas says what he thinks no matter what the risk. The movie is abundant in its gifts, a pleasure for those who like a story to unfold lovingly over a full arc, instead of coming in short mindless bursts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks