What's new

Tailor Of Panama worth buying? (1 Viewer)

CaryA

Auditioning
I really enjoyed Tailor of Panama; an excellent spy movie with great authentic scenery, really dripping with atmosphere. There is no "action" scenes, a la James Bond, so if that's what you're looking for you might just want to stick with Mummy Returns :)
If you're looking for a good character study with a deliberately paced, densely woven plot, this is your flick. Brendan Gleeson (my favorite character actor) is fantastic in this, really just disappearing into the role. He's almost unrecognizable. Also, Jamie Lee Curtis nude scene if you're into that sort of thing. It was great to see Brosnan as the anti-Bond, and nice to see Boorman still doing good work. If you like this, I'd also recommend The General.
[Edited last by CaryA on September 12, 2001 at 02:13 PM]

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I also really enjoyed Tailor. Brosnan is great as an anti-Bond.
Todd.
------------------
"He'll flip you, flip you for real."

Nathan_H

Second Unit
It was much better than I thought it'd be, in large measure because it didn't want or try to be a spy movie or an action movie at all. This is a character drama with some politics in the background to form a world in which the characters interact.
------------------

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
Let me be the first to chime in with a negative review. The movie, while filled with great performances (especially from Brosnan and Gleeson), was unnecessarily drawn out and long. Also, the mood of the film shifts severely from dark comedy to drama at about the halfway mark. While sometimes this type of genre shifting works, in The Tailor Of Panama, it really doesn't.
From the technical side, Columbia used their usual excessive dialnorm on this disc. I had to turn it up FAR beyond my reference point to get decent sound. I would go so far as to say that this is the single worst instance of dialnorm that I personally have encountered. We're talking worse than Charlie's Angels...
For the most part, video quality is good, although there are some obvious problems with black level and shadow detail in the last 20 minutes of the movie. Because I didn't care much for the movie, I didn't bother with the supplements, so I can't comment on them. I will say this: Jamie Lee Curtis has still got it goin' on.
wink.gif

I buy everything sight unseen (because I refuse to rent from Ballbuster), and it's rare that I make this statement: I wish I hadn't bought this disc. I can find no reason whatsoever to ever watch this movie again. I would rather subject myself to an all-day marathon of Xanadu before I ever pop this disc in again.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Jeez, Jeremy, tell us how you feel!
This is one of the best films I've seen all year-- smart, funny, engrossing. I have only skimmed through the DVD so far but it looks good to me.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
..and the best part is, Boorman also directed Zardoz!
wink.gif

------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | dOc

Shane Gralaw

Second Unit
I too was less than impressed. The performances were really good (Gleeson and Rush were outstanding as usual & after watching Brosnan's intriguing work, it makes me appreciate how shallow and uninteresting the Bond character really is) but the direction just seemed sloppy. It simply never jelled for me- it seemed like the script needed one more rewrite or the film needed one more edit- the tone seemed off and the plot confusing. Either way it didn't work.
Obviously many disagree, but you should rent it first just to be on the safe side and then decide for yourself. A blind purchase is ill-advised.

JasonK

Supporting Actor
I checked this out last week, and was going to buy it sight-unseen. (I work at a video store, so I watch stuff early.) It was a good flick, Brosnan was great as the anti-Bond. But, as others have said, some scenes work (Brosnan hitting on numerous women was amusing) but others feel out of place. A good, but not great film.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
A rental only.
Good movie but there's no reason to watch it more than once.
------------------
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Sounds interesting but I think I'll go with a rental. I have way too many dvds on my must-buy list anyway...
------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

Jose Q

Stunt Coordinator
I agree that the performances were great but the film did drag a bit. The plot was a bit confusing in the beginning and the accents on both male leading characters were fairly heavy and made it harder to follow what the heck was going on. However, once you got into the movie things got very interesting.
Overall, a good rental. Although my opinion might be a bit biased since I am originally from Panama and enjoyed the scenery very much :)

Ernesto Santos

Stunt Coordinator
I thought the acting was very good. i agree with the dialnorm issue, I thought I had excessive wax in my ears last night.
crazy.gif

------------------

Ernesto Santos

Stunt Coordinator
I thought the acting was very good. i agree with the dialnorm issue, I thought I had excessive wax in my ears last night.
crazy.gif

The biggest issue I have with this disc is the lousy video quality, a rare dropping of the ball by Columbia if you ask me. Soft iamges in the first ten minutes and muted washed out colors for the entire show. I agree the black level was below what I have come to expect from this studio. I am rather sorry I bought this one. Even as a rental I probably would not have sit through the whole thing if not for the acting performances.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks