What's new

TAGS 1st Season DVD boxed set news!! (1 Viewer)

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Excellent! And now we know Paramount's got the rights to the non-public domain episodes. Fantastic news. I hope they put a lot of work into the set.

The title should probably edited: the acronym for The Andy Griffith Show is just too broad. I'm guessing someone else will start a thread on this, not knowing what this one is about. ;)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
You're probably right about the "TAGS" reference in the subject heading instead of spelling it out. I thought about that 1 second after I hit the submit button. Don't think I can edit the title though.

Gary "of course, any true fan will know what TAGS means" OS ;)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Great news indeed. :)

I had a feeling we'd see TAGS by year's end.

This show is way too popular (and downright good) to have remained off the "season sets" DVD market even this long.

But, I'm sure all "TAGS" fans will agree -- better late than never. :)

"Here at 'The Rock', we've got three basic
rules. ... The first rule --- Follow All Rules!!"

:) :)

FYI --- Here's a gander at the splendid "TAGS" assortment of 32 rookie-season episodes we'll see with the 1st boxed DVD set .........

The New Housekeeper (10/3/1960)
The Manhunt (10/10/1960)
The Guitar Player (10/17/1960)
Ellie Comes to Town (10/24/1960)
Irresistible Andy (10/31/1960)
Runaway Kid (11/7/1960)
Andy the Matchmaker (11/14/1960)
Opie's Charity (11/28/1960)
A Feud Is a Feud (12/5/1960)
Ellie for Council (12/12/1960)
Christmas Story (12/19/1960)
Stranger in Town (12/26/1960)
Mayberry Goes Hollywood (1/2/1961)
The Horse Trader (1/9/1961)
Those Gossipin' Men (1/16/1961)
The Beauty Contest (1/23/1961)
Alcohol and Old Lace (1/30/1961)
Andy the Marriage Counselor (2/16/1961)
Mayberry on Record (2/13/1961)
Andy Saves Barney's Morale (2/20/1961)
Andy and the Gentleman Crook (2/27/1961)
Cyrano Andy (3/19/1961)
Andy and Opie, Housekeepers (3/13/1961)
The New Doctor (3/27/1961)
A Plaque for Mayberry (4/3/1961)
The Inspector (4/10/1961)
Ellie Saves a Female (4/17/1961)
Andy Forecloses (4/24/1961)
Quiet Sam (5/1/1961)
Barney Gets His Man (5/8/1961)
The Guitar Player Returns (5/15/1961)
Bringing Up Opie (5/22/1961)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Excellent news! 32 episodes . . . my, my. Man, looking at an episode guide, there is a lot of great stuff in store for us down the road. I can't wait for the pickle episode (season 2) and the mother bird episode (season 4). I suspect most of you will stop when the B&Ws stop (assuming they get that far, of course), but I find the color episodes to be enjoyable for the most part. As far as I'm concerned, if the quality dropped off from the B&Ws, it dropped down to what would be considered really good for any other show.

Say, you know what we need on this set? The pilot from the Danny Thomas Show. That's a great episode, and it would be a shame to not have it. You hear me, Paramount? :angry:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
You know, I posted that news with exactly this group of people in mind. :D

I'm glad you are getting a kick out of it!

Sean.S

Stunt Coordinator
Awesome news. TV Land skipped the first season and I was about to tape it in syndication, but now I don't have to. Can't wait for this release!

By the way, I know its on TV and edited, but TV Land will show the pilot for the show as part of their TV Land Moguls programming on the 21st of this month...
12:00AM Make Room for Daddy (TV Land Mogul: Danny Thomas) #85 "Danny Meets Andy Griffith"

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thanks to David for breaking the news and my friend Gary for relaying it to us.

Hopefully at least the first 5 seasons will be released. I will be buying these as gifts for the huge Andy Griffith Show fans in my family.

I hope this means that Paramount has some other classic goodies ("Get Smart" anyone?) that they're working on. I have heard that Paramount may also control video rights to "Perry Mason", but I've not been able to confirm that.

Steve

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Thanks, David Lambert. I know David VP has to be particularly excited by the news. At a guess, only Leave It To Beaver and MTM season 2 would make him happier/as happy. ;) Me too, at least for Leave It To Beaver. :emoji_thumbsup:

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
You are correct sir. :) ;)

But -- Don't leave out "The Fugitive" (1963-1967 version) on that list. :)

Also -- I agree with you, Greg, 100% on wanting the Danny Thomas show with Andy Taylor's first TV appearance to be included on the DVD collection.

That type of "complete episode" extra bonus would be right up Image Entertainment's alley (based on what we've seen on the Dick Van Dyke Show sets). Hopefully, Paramount will follow their lead.

I have no Paramount TV-on-DVD collections. Do they do a nice job on TV product? And what exactly have they released recently with regard to TV programs?

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
FYI -- The episode of Make Room For Daddy (aka: The Danny Thomas Show) in which Andy Griffith makes a very funny appearance is the 212th ep. of Danny's long-running series, airing on February 15, 1960, eight months before Andy's own show debuted. It was entitled "Danny Meets Andy Griffith", and also co-stars Ronny Howard as "Opie" and Frances Bavier. But, interestingly, Bavier does not appear as "Aunt Bee", but rather as someone named "Henrietta". (But I still think "Henrietta" is Andy's aunt here.)

More tidbits on this funny "pilot" (of sorts) for The Andy Griffith Show ------

Ronny Howard's father, Rance, appears in the episode, along with Will Wright and Frank Cady. Wright, later in 1960, would go on to have a recurring role in "TAGS", as the crusty & mean old department-store owner, "Ben Weaver". While Cady, of course, went on to become "Sam Drucker" on Petticoat Junction and Green Acres.

I really hope this episode is included somewhere on the TAGS set. It would truly complete a 1st-Season collection.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Any news of extras on this set? They should definitely have some good extras with this long-awaited series release on DVD.

Also, has there been any word on whether or not the original opening credits sequences and sponsorships have been retained? I clearly remember during the opening credits on the earliest episodes (the ones with the higher-pitch "Whistle Song"), once Opie throws the rock into the lake, the scene switches to the rock hitting the water in the lake, and the narrator says, "Sponsored by..." It would always then fade to black, with the music cutting out at that point, then start up with the episode.

They definitely should do this one right for all the fans out there.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Noted this rather interesting post over at DVD Talk, in a "TAGS"-on-DVD thread ........

-----------
-----------

I'd have to agree with the person responding to that Turner rumor.

Good gosh! "TAGS" has been one of the most often (possibly THE most often) aired TV series re-run in syndication for 35 years now! Surely, even if some prints were unusable for a DVD restoration/remastering, there would still be MANY others to fall back on to fill in the gaps. (Wouldn't you think?)

Thousands of TV stations have aired this popular program at one time or another since 1968-1969.

And I also agree with the DVD-Talker above re. Turner Classic Movies cable channel. It's one of the very few TV stations I watch nowadays. Everything is shown in OAR if at all possible.

However -- This type of "lost TAGS elements" discussion does bring about a mild concern I would have regarding not only the original opening/closing credit sequences, but also some of the newly-created "musical bridges" that we now hear on TVLand, etc., when watching the show in syndication.

These "bridges" were added several years ago (I think) to add a more seamless feel from one scene to another when an edit has been made (to add more commercial time--of course :frowning:). And every time I see TAGS on TV now, EVERY station airing it seems to have the exact same type of prints, with these musical add-ons being precisely the same every time.

Whereas, in the 1970s and 1980s, I can distinctly recall wholly different edits in each episode, which would vary depending upon the station airing the shows.

In fact, along similar lines re. another TV show, I have taped onto VHS every episode of "Leave It To Beaver" (several episodes multiple times), and yet the very same episode taped off of TVLand in 2001 will be totally different (edit-wise) than an older copy taped in--say--1989 off of a local station.

I'm just wondering -- since "TAGS" appears to now have a "fixed" type of print, with these same new bridges used -- if it will now become increasingly more difficult for Paramount to locate good original, uncut film prints of each episode, with the original openings and closings as well. ???

I certainly hope not. Because having each episode in its original, unedited condition is a necessity for "TAGS" fans (I'm sure you'll all agree :) :)).

And -- Speaking of Ted Turner: He received his own "Star" on the "Hollywood Walk Of Fame" today.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'd like to see someone who has I Love Lucy or the Honeymooners weigh in with how Paramount handled those properties. Those sets should serve as a guide for how TAGS might be done. Were the scenes that were cut for syndication (if any) restored on the DVDs? Were the period, in-show ads (if any) restored? I know TV Land restored the animated segments to I Love Lucy, altered to include their own logo. I assume those segments were on the DVDs? Were the original logos/ads restored, or were they replaced with something new?

As was mentioned in another thread, there were actually segments of the Andy Griffith show used to advertise products. An example was shown on Food Network recently (on Top 5, I believe): Andy and Bea are at the table for dinner, and Opie brings a bottle of Sanka--ON A THROW PILLOW, so it's on display--in to Aunt Bea. They then discuss how great Sanka is. I understand this segment was actually a part of the show, possibly as a tag scene at the end. If I Love Lucy did anything like this, it'd be interesting to know if the scenes were reinserted for the DVDs.

As mentioned above, they've done I Love Lucy and the Honeymooners. They have also released all of Star Trek: TOS, TNG, and DS9, and Voyager is in the process of being released. They did CSI, Frasier and Cheers, and probably some others I'm forgetting.

Of those, I have all of TNG and DS9 and a couple of TOS discs. That's it. I'm happy with the releases. They are the full, uncut episodes (one of the DS9 episodes was cut, but it was cut before it was originally broadcast, and thus is presented correctly), and I'm pleased with the video quality. Others are not so happy with the transfers, but I haven't seen anyone saying they're so awful as to be a problem. There aren't a whole lot of extras--enough to do the job--and no commentaries, but that's okay by me.

Prices for Paramount releases are all over the map. The Star Trek sets are pretty high, as is I Love Lucy. I Love Lucy is a special case, since the entire season was originally released on individual discs. The season box simply packages all of them together, which makes for steep pricing. I don't expect the season 2 box to be that high, but I have nothing to back that statement--just a hunch, perhaps backed by the price of the Honeymooners set. The Honeymooners is very reasonably priced--less than $40--and includes just a few more episodes than TAGS season one box would contain. I'm guessing TAGS would be in the Honeymooners price range. Again, just a guess.

That's probably more than you wanted to know about Paramount TV-on-DVD, but there you go. ;)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
More on editing .......

Of course, the most common practice among TV stations over the many years since The Andy Griffith Show first went into syndication is to totally eliminate the "Epilogue" scene from each program. This entire edited scene at the end of each episode would amount to about 2 to 3 minutes (approx.), meaning very few (if any) other "snips" would be required during the bulk of the episode.

I always hated this! Knowing a good (sometimes very, very funny) "Epilogue" scene was being chopped out of the show was aggravating while watching these cut-up versions on local TV way back when. And made it impossible, of course, to tape record ANY full, uncut shows. :frowning:

However, it seems that TVLand (and others airing it now) now includes all Epilogues on the "TAGS" shows, while snipping and cutting elsewhere (detectable by those new "bridges" I talked about earlier).

I have one of the "TAGS" Public Domain DVD releases. It's this one (which also has "Life With Elizabeth" included on the same disc)......

The "whistling theme" credits on this DVD are different than the original whistle. But, other than that, I believe the full episodes are intact (with running times of 25+ minutes).

Does anybody currently have any of the other many different Public Domain DVD releases of "TAGS"? Are they "uncut"?

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Bridgeman
Any grumbling should be nipped in the bud! Nip it, nip it, nip it!:D

Just kidding, I'll be the first to grumble a lot if they don't do this set up right. Then it will be, "Paramount, you beat everything, you know that?"

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Steve, my friend, how are you? BTW, sorry I missed Monday's chat. Hope to see you this Monday.

It really is great news. And I'm with you on wanting Perry Mason sets as well.

Gary "come on Paramount, do your best for" OS

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

David DP, you and I are on the same wave here, brother! If Universal would give us "Leave it to Beaver" (and throw in "The Munsters" for good measure), if Paramount would give us "TAGS" and "The Fugitive", and if Fox would give us more Irwin Allen releases, I'd be doing cartwheels. And that's no easy task at my age, trust me. :)

Gary "I wouldn't mind Sony giving us 'Father Knows Best' either - then I'd do a triple whatever you call it" OS

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks